can't reach nextcloud GUI over internet

youri377

Cadet
Hi All, i'm having issues reaching my nextcloud install(running on freenas) over the internet. i've opend up port 80 on my router directing to the internal ip of my nextcloud installation but when i try to acces it over the internet i get a freenas webpage with the message: connecting to NAS... make sure the NAS system is.......etc.
I've configured the Freenas Gui to be on port 81 and opend this up in my router aswell, i can acces the freenas GUI just fine, why isn't this working for the nextcloud GUI?
it's my first time trying to setup a server(of any kind) so i have very limited knowledge. i wanna find out if i nextcoud will work for me so for now i'm not worrying to much about security, just trying to get a connection going.
could anyone help me out and/or direct me to a good and very basic guide?

garm

Wizard
1564852285374.jpeg

blueether

Patron
1/ Drop the freenas box off the net (not at all hardened etc)
2/ Are you using the internal IP of the nextcloud jail or the freenas host to forward port 80 to?

youri377

Cadet
1/ Drop the freenas box off the net (not at all hardened etc)
2/ Are you using the internal IP of the nextcloud jail or the freenas host to forward port 80 to?

i've forwarded port 80 to the internal IP that freenas gave to the nextcloud jail. but i get sent to a freenas page, not nextcloud when trying to connect through my public IP

also, i'm not leaving ports open all the time, just when trying to get things running. i know the dangers etc but i figure that if i can't get a basic connection going adding security now will only complicate things for me more.

as an unexperienced user, baby steps just feels like the best way to go at this.

sretalla