BUILD Switching from Synology to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalas188

Cadet
Hi Guys,

after my old synology kicked the bucked, I'm planning to build a FreeNAS as replacement.

This is what I have so far:

- Supermicro MBD-X9SCL-F-O
- Intel BX80646I34130T Core i3-4130T
- AeroCool Xpredator Gold 550W ATX 2.4
- 2 x Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G 8GB
- 2x WD 3TB Red (Mirror vdev)
- Corsair CC-9011077-WW

I intend to use it as a NFS-Datastore for my virtualization server (Proxmox) and as a storage for my Media Server (Emby).

Since this is my first bulid I'd be gratefule for advice or comments.

Thank You!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try to shoot for more memory (a lot more). Running VM datastores is very stressful and memory is the thing that makes FreeNAS work.

The X9 isn't a board that supports Haswell. Try an X10 board. Or an older processor. There's no harm in using the older generation stuff; Haswell and Sandy/Ivy are virtually identical in performance.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Skip the 'T" CPU series. You won't save anything energy wise since your CPU will be idle mostly and the extra horsepower from the standard i3 will be good to have when needed.

Shalas188

Cadet
Thanks for the quick responses :smile:

I changed the following components:
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SLM-F-B
CPU: Intel Core i3-4330
RAM: 4 x Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G (hope thats enough RAM, its hard to find a Motherboard & CPU that support 64G and are still in my price range).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You probably don't need 32GB to start with. A single 16GB module may be sufficient (check to see that this is compatible with the board) or a pair of 8GB modules.

Shalas188

Cadet
You probably don't need 32GB to start with. A single 16GB module may be sufficient (check to see that this is compatible with the board) or a pair of 8GB modules.

I'll start with 16GB and add additional ram later. At the latest when I add another 3TB mirror vdev.

Shalas188

Cadet
Final Update: The System is up and running now, everything works beatifully. Thank again!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We are always happy to hear of success. Do feel free to come back and report in a few weeks or months too, if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.