BUILD New 6x3TB FreeNAS 8.3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickh925

Cadet
Hopefully this is ok to post here, not really a question other than "Any further suggestions?" but I wanted to make an attempt at giving back to the community. So here is my recent build. I am a solo IT consultant working with mainly small to medium sized businesses and have been increasing my virtualization of client servers. I have been slowly adding drives to existing ESX servers and had my first opportunity to build out a NAS in support of ESX (and plain file storage). I needed to build two servers, one for each of two offices with one being primary and the other essentially being offsite backup.

Server1 and Server2 are essentially identical with exceptions noted below:

The build went well. Cable runs worked out. No power issues. IMPI just worked and I've never hooked a keyboard or monitor up. The fans seem to be running at 100%. I think that they are 3 pin versus 4 pin or something. Not a big deal because this is going into a server room where I already have a noise issue. I tried a few things to try to stress the system. I usually run Steve Gibson's SpinRite on my drives before putting them into production. It forces the drive to read/write each sector and spare out any that fail before production data ends up on one. I couldn't do that this time because SpinRite has a problem with Advance Format drives or something. Instead, I ran DBAN on them. I figure that 7 passes would cause the drive to at least touch all active sectors and that would have to be good enough.

FreeNAS 8.3.0 installed with no problems. I setup a volume and an NFS share and started copying data from my laptop over a single GB ethernet connection. I have a Lenovo T520 with two 250GB SSDs and one 1TB HDD. The first test was copying a VM from my HDD to the NFS share and I think I got about 300Mbps as measured on the Reporting tab in FreeNAS. I noticed that the HDD light was solid and wondered if I was maxing out my HDD so I copied a VM and some movies to one of the SSDs and started two simultaneous transfers, one from each drive. This time I pushed up to about 500Mbps and thought I could do better so I setup three simultaneous transfers, one from each of the three drives in my laptop and managed about 850Mbps. Here is a video I took with VLC from my laptop posted to youtube.

Is this at least an "in the ball park" measurement of nearly maxing out the single 1000M ethernet connection?

Any comments on my build?

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.