BUILD First FreeNAS build... any tips to save $$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

Cadet
I've been wanting for quite some time to set up a file server for 1) redundant storage for important files from our PCs and 2) a media server library. This will be a home server with 2 users, currently my wife's PC is connected to our home net via wifi but I plan to run a cable... I'd ideally also want to serve 3 Rokus (attached to standard-definition TVs) via Plex over wifi.

The primary purposes: Vastly increased storage space, reliable storage for treasured home media (family photos and home videos), media library storage and ideally media library streaming (to rip and serve CDs and DVDs to any HTPC-equipped room in the house, currently all standard-def).

Not a primary purpose: Blazingly fast storage speed from our PCs (though it would be nice if the wife didn't get frustrated by delays when trying to save/browse home pictures and videos).

The build I have in mind:

Supermicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O ($155), which Amazon says is an Ultra ATX, but Supermicro's site says it's uATX which to me means micro-ATX... Newegg has this for less in an open box, but I'm not sure that's a wise route to take. All of that aside, I like being able to run the current generation of Core i3 CPUs.
Alternative, slightly cheaper: Supermicro X10SLL-F-O ($135)

Intel Core i3-4130T ($126) - because in my mind, with no particular real-world calculations to back it up, this saves money in the long run vs. using an Intel Core i3-4130 ($115)... (also because I have an irrational preference for Intel due to bad experiences with various other CPU brands in the far, far distant past)

16 GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered ($200) - I don't particularly love Crucial, but I'm having trouble finding other brands of RAM in the right size and speed and at a reasonable price

Fractal Design Define R4 ($85) - enough drive bays for now and room for future expansion; fan filters, fairly quiet, and will hold the motherboard as long as it's not really an Ultra ATX as Amazon claims...

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W (effectively free) - because I have one sitting around in an unopened box just gathering dust; I know, I know, I should get 80 Plus Gold and this is only 80 Plus Bronze...

5 or 6 WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB ($190 each) - I was originally going to buy the WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB at $155 each, after promo code, but the Red vs. Green thread has me scared that I would be sitting at my computer waiting for hours or even days if I try to open a file on a NAS that uses these. (Overstating a bit, but qualitatively I think that's the gist of the message I took away from that thread.) I'm thinking of using RAIDZ3 because the Hardware Recommendations thread points me to dire warnings that if I rely on anything as primitive as RAIDZ1 after the year 2009 I may as well throw my disk platters into the kitchen garbage disposal, and RAIDZ2 isn't much better because even if one of my drives fails and I need to recover, I'll discover that at least one of my other drives is bound to be a miserable sucking black hole from which data never escapes, at least not sufficiently for the recovery process to work.

So... Where can I save money on this build while still having a quality home NAS that we can depend on for many centuries to come? Or at least several years. And did I miss any compatibility issues? And am I planning on enough RAM for my stated purposes for home use?

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The only good way I see to save money is with WD Greens. Greens work just fine. I have 24 of them in my server and I love them. I think RAIDZ2 is completely safe for home use if you properly admin your server with SMART testing and regular scrubs. Especially with just 5 or 6 drives. 6 drive RAIDZ2 is optimal too!

If you go with Greens you'll have to do wdidle on them, but that small inconvenience makes them worth the savings in my opinion. If you read my comments in that Red vs Green thread many of the comments by people are factually inaccurate, WD sales propaganda, and stuff written by people that have no clue how hard drives really work and how to make them last. I just don't even post to that thread because the lack of people to think for themselves was too overwhelming to bother.

Reactions: abc

cmfisher4

Explorer
As someone who only this weekend finally put together my system after months of research (and with the same general goals as you have), I have a few comments, if I may:
That mobo is definitely micro-ATX. I have the X9 version (socket 1155) of the same board.
I went with the same RAM as you did for the same reason AND because the Crucial website said it was tested compatible (had trouble finding that requirement for a reasonable price). And, I would say you absolutely have enough RAM for what you want to do.
I used the same case. Absolutely LOVE it. Fit and finish and build quality are some of the best I've ever seen and I've been building computers for 20 years. Also, sound dampening is very effective.
Your PSU is overkill, but free is free. If you actually sit down and do the 6th grade math on the daily cost savings of a 80 Plus power supply and what you have, there is no way you would EVER recoup the money you would spend on a new power supply just to get the 80 Plus. You are only talking pennies a day in actual daily cost difference.
I went with WD Reds (4x 3TB). I bought 2 from TigerDirect with a final cost of $99 each after rebates. I bought the other two from Newegg with a final cost of $124.99 each on promo. I didn't want to play with the wdidle thing. Though I'm sure I could have and listening to what everyone says it is very easy, I just didn't want to do it. I wouldn't let my choice sway yours, however. I just did the math on the cost and it wasn't worth my perception of taking a chance.
As for your CPU, I may lean towards the non-T version. The T version is power sipping, but you lose processing power. I have a 2120T at home and a similar non-T version and I can tell the difference (these are one my kids' desktops). Again, the pennies that you would save daily would take a LONG time to recoup the difference in the CPU prices (of course, it's only $11). But, I would more worry about performance, especially if you are going to do any transcoding with Plex.
Recommend you visit www.CPUBoss.com to compare the CPUs. That site is great and helped me when finally deciding on getting a Xeon instead of a i3 (I plan on transcoding and doing encryption, too). It provides power costs and everything, too.
To answer your question, I don't really see anywhere, outside of WD green versus WD red and the minor CPU price where you can really save any money. I think your choices are solid.
Good luck,
Chris

JohnK

Patron
I have the X10 and it is definitely micro-ATX and fits nicely. Very easy install. Note the MB comes with 6 SATA cables, something I thought was real nice.
I think the cost per TB makes 3TB better value for money and if you have patience, TigerDirect has $30 coupons like twice a month. They limit their quantities to 2 coupons per person/household etc, but during their last sale they also allowed for bulk purchases of 2 drives. So in a nutshell you could by 6 WD Red 3TB for $109 each after the $30 rebates. Newegg is selling them for $125 right now that is also not a bad price.

You can look at buying Kingson from SuperBiiz They charge shipping on these modules, but you should get it shipped in the US for around $190. I bought 32GB for $344 with free shipping.
As CMFisher4 said, if you think PLEX transcoding, think Xeon. If you are planning no transcoding, I would recommend the Pentium. I use one and it work perfectly for $70.

Status
Not open for further replies.