BUILD First FreeNas Build Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

theomolenaar

Dabbler
I've done a lot of research over the last 2 weeks for my first FreeNas Build. I'll be using it primarily for media storage and I'll be using plex, couchpotato, sonarr, transmission, sabnzbd, tvheadend etc. I want to be able to use a secure VPN provider (for media downloads) and run a private vpn server to access my media when outside of the home. Besides that I have a HDHomeRun with tvheadend to record HD video.
My main goal is future proofing, security and reliability so I think I may have gone a little overboard with the hardware which I don't mind because when I learn more about FreeNas I don't want hardware to prevent me.

Other Requirements
Expandability (in storage)

I want to be able to add HDD's when necessary. So I will start with my 4 HDD's (6TB each) from my Synology Diskstation. The Define R6 case supports up to 11 HDD's. I will probably start with 6 HDD’s.

Silent
This server will be used as a home server, therefore, installed in the meter cupboard. This meter cupboard is in the hallway. Because it will run 24/7 and my bedroom and office are at the other end. The less noise the better. The possibility of optimizing fan speeds would be a great benefit. As for the case I decided to go with the Define R6 because it’s designed to be ‘silent’.

Energy efficiency
This new server will run 24/7. Transcoding will be done a few hours a day when using Plex. The rest of the day/night some lightweight software packages and scripts will run in the background.

Are there any components in this buid that could be switched for a more energy efficient one? Is the 850W PSU overkill and opt for a lower powered?
I did some calculations on the wattage with tips from here. Potential wattage is 679W. Then multiply with 1.25 and you will get 848,75W. Remember this is with 11HDD’s. ’Worst case’ scenario.

So my build is as follows: PCPartPicker part list
As this is my first build I would really appreciate any feedback/criticism before I start building this awesome NAS. :smile:

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€249.00)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste (€9.40)
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSM-F Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€210.45)
Memory: Crucial - 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€192.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€35.49)
Storage: 11x Western Digital - Red 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€184.95)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black ATX Mid Tower Case (€125.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. All sounds really good except that I am worried about the cupboard getting too hot. The system will need cool air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Dice

Wizard
Agreeing with @Chris Moore. Build looks solid. I like the CPU and RAM choice.

Redcoat

MVP
The system will need cool air.
Please don't underestimate the importance of @Chris Moore's point here. You may have to put vents in the cupboard door(s) to get airflow in and out, also with possible noise implications.

theomolenaar

Dabbler
Thanks @Chris Moore, @Dice and @Redcoat. Chris really has a good point there. I think I will move this NAS to another room that I use for storage. It's the coolest room in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.