BUILD Supermicro X9SRL-F Build Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. The Fusion-IO stuff seems like it'd be not-that-great anyways given all the NVMe stuff these days.

In that case perhaps I should say "hello" to one the Intel 750 400GB.:smile: Having power protection on a consumer SSD was also great surprise for me.

Speaking of Virtual Machines...
When I make a Windows VM I usualy create a small (40GB for C: Drive) virtual disk , and then add another (if needed) bigger virtual disk for the working sett (500GB for D: drive). It give me a great flexibility to add or remove D: drive based on needs, without affecting the OS virtual drive - C:

Do you see anything wrong with this practice ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Speaking of Virtual Machines...
When I make a Windows VM I usualy create a small (40GB for C: Drive) virtual disk , and then add another (if needed) bigger virtual disk for the working sett (500GB for D: drive). It give me a great flexibility to add or remove D: drive based on needs, without affecting the OS virtual drive - C:

Do you see anything wrong with this practice ?

What kind of moron would do such a thing? I mean, seriously, are you suggesting that it's a good idea to have the ability to put one virtual disk on one datastore, and then another virtual disk on another datastore? What happens if one's a HDD datastore and one's an SSD datastore? You could get slow and fast storage performance in the same VM! That's pure crazy talk, lunacy even,

I was talking about 2 virtual hdd in the same datastore.

and then I was going to suggest: What about one VM with 2 virtual drives on different datastores ? Exactly like you said one on HDD other SSD.

If this makes perfect sense on real machines , how come will not in VM ? - Most people on their workstations follow this model: one fast SSD (256GB) where the OS boots from , and another HDD(4TB) for storage, are they morons too ?:mad:

I don't know how come it don't make sense to you, but I am not alone - millions of morons have SSD(boot) and HDD(data) in workstation.:)

Perhaps you can't imagine that is not always a database VM. Could be a DVR VM for camera recordings , or machine that downloads torrent with 5 MB/s for a long time.

rogerh

Guru
I don't know how come it don't make sense to you, but I am not alone - millions of morons have SSD(boot) and HDD(data) in workstation.:)

Did you actually try *running* the sarcasm detector on jgreco's 'moron' post??

I didn't. But now you mention it I will.

I did played, but didn't get the point. Perhaps you can elaborate ?

rogerh

Guru
I did played, but didn't get the point. Perhaps you can elaborate ?
I meant: if you look at jgreco's 'moron' post he was actually being ironic - he agrees with your policy!

I meant: if you look at jgreco's 'moron' post he was actually being ironic - he agrees with your policy!

Perhaps you are right, cause it did cross my mind too.

P.S. I was thinking ... it is really hard to express yourself with few words , you think you do , cause you know what you mean, but on the other side sometimes is hard to visualize that expression. Sometimes same sentence can sound like a joke, a threat , an insult, etc, but it's hard to distinguish sometimes cause you don't see the person in front of you. In fact sometimes you can tell more about persons attitude just by taking a look at him instead of reading what he said and trying to determine it by that. This doesn't apply in every case , but you got my point.

rogerh

Guru
Perhaps you are right, cause it did cross my mind too.

P.S. I was thinking ... it is really hard to express yourself with few words , you think you do , cause you know what you mean, but on the other side sometimes is hard to visualize that expression. Sometimes same sentence can sound like a joke, a threat , an insult, etc, but it's hard to distinguish sometimes cause you don't see the person in front of you. In fact sometimes you can tell more about persons attitude just by taking a look at him instead of reading what he said and trying to determine it by that. This doesn't apply in every case , but you got my point.

My solution is to wonder sometimes what people mean, but not be offended; either because they probably didn't mean it, or because it doesn't really matter what someone on the Internet says!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My solution is to wonder sometimes what people mean, but not be offended; either because they probably didn't mean it, or because it doesn't really matter what someone on the Internet says!

Starting with me!

Perhaps you are right. The way I see the "internet guys" is like a real people on the other side of the PC , just like me. I strongly believe that my personalty in real live is not different than the one on internet. I think that's how it should be.

I remember some people (from real life) from early days when IRC became a thing, that kind of developed totally different personality online. I mean in real live they were not a a bad guys, but when they got behind the pc , they start insulting everybody they can like for fun. Stuff they say, they would never say to anybody on person. I guess is something in human nature.

Like the movie "The Mask" , the green beast* is just waiting to come out when got a chance.:smile:

*For those who have not seen the movie I refer "the green beast" for the main character of the movie. It's has noting to do with jgreco. Any color similarity with fictitious events or characters was purely coincidental.:smile:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
*For those who have not seen the movie I refer "the green beast" for the main character of the movie. It's has noting to do with jgreco. Any color similarity with fictitious events or characters was purely coincidental.:)

You really wanna go there? 'Cuz you really don't wanna know what it is I think of every time I see your handle!

You really wanna go there? 'Cuz you really don't wanna know what it is I think of every time I see your handle!

I really don't know what do you mean ? So I really want to know ?

No you don't. Let's just say it brings to mind something much more obscure than Carrey.

As long as you don't misunderstood my friendly joke as something else, that's fine with me.

P.S. Black Ninja confess He is a person with a short fuse who don't take a sh** from anybody when He thinks the cause is just. On the other side the people He respects, He want's to make sure understood Him correctly.

I thought we are friends. Did I misunderstood you again ? Cause it didn't sound like a good thing whatever you meant?!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I thought we are friends. Did I misunderstood you again ? Cause it didn't sound like a good thing whatever you meant?!

Whether or not we might be friends has very little to do with what my mind associates with a handle of "Black Ninja." If I wanted to be nasty, I'd just tell you. :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.