X9SRL-F with M1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddi1984

Dabbler
Hi folks,

I updated my NAS to a new super micro X9SRL-F with a E5-1650 v2 & 32GB ECC RAM.

When I received the board, I setup the hardware etc. Before proceeding, I updated the bios to the latest version (R3.2). I don’t know what version was on there before, but according to supermicro, it would had to be at least R3.0 (required to work with this cpu).

After the bios updated I proceeded to install Win7x64 and run hardware test (AIDA64,prime95 etc). After I was satisfied, that everything was working, I installed freenas 11.1-U1 and wanted to import my volume,but the disks were not showing.

After investigating, I found that the M1015 (flashed to IT mode), was not recognized by the motherboard. No lights on the M1015 are coming on when server starts. The M1015just does noT show up anywhere as if the card is not in the pci slot. I tried it in different slots, no joy ...

Here is the thing, before I updated the BIOS the the M1015 did show up and leds on were blinking etc. It defiantly worked, but after the update nothing ...

Any ideas?

Does anybody know, if I can download older versions of a bios update (I want R3.0). On SM site only the most current one is available...

Thanks in advance!

Eddi

tvsjr

Guru
It's pretty unlikely that a BIOS update would cause issues with a PCIe card working... unlikely, but not impossible. I'd probably start by going into the BIOS config and resetting everything to default.

eddi1984

Dabbler
I did clear the CMOS, no change.

RMA?

Does anybody know where I can get older bios version from SM?

Thx.

eddi1984

Dabbler
Hi,

wanted to update this thread.

After further investigation, I found, that both of my M1015 that I was using with the X9SRL-F board, had the fuse blown (!!!).
They were perfectly working fine before I used them in the system, no idea what happened.
I installed the M1015 that I used in my system that I am replacing and all was good and working.

--> Here is another question that I have. From what I can tell, the blue fuse on the M1015 is blown. I am ordering replacement fuses and will change them out (I am experienced with soldering SMD parts etc), this should be a fairly straightforward job.
BUT, how can I verify the card, so that I can trust my data to flow thru it again after the fuse has been replaced (and assuming that it starts working as expected)?

--> One more question regarding a BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane (4U Supermicro case). This backplane board has 3 SAS SFF-8087 connectors. I have currently only one M1015 card with 2 8087 connectors that I connected to the backplane. Will I need a second card and utilize all 3 8087 connections on the backplane to get max speed out of my HDD's?

Thanks.

Eddi

danb35

Hall of Famer

eddi1984

Dabbler
No, that isn't how that backplane works. The backplane manual explains it.

So, just to make sure that I understand the manual correctly. I would only connect to the first port J0 from my M1015. Port J1 and J2 (second and third 8087 ports) are for cascading purposes only. Basically, I would not use them at all.

In that case, will my connection speed to the HDD's speed suffer?

Cheers,

Eddi

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would only connect to the first port J0 from my M1015.
That's how I understand it as well.
In that case, will my connection speed to the HDD's speed suffer?
Only if you think you'd need more than 24 Gbit/sec of bandwidth from all the disks together.

eddi1984

Dabbler
That's how I understand it as well.
Only if you think you'd need more than 24 Gbit/sec of bandwidth from all the disks together.
Thanks for your help! I will change that on my setup.

--> Here is another question that I have. From what I can tell, the blue fuse on the M1015 is blown. I am ordering replacement fuses and will change them out (I am experienced with soldering SMD parts etc), this should be a fairly straightforward job.
BUT, how can I verify the card, so that I can trust my data to flow thru it again after the fuse has been replaced (and assuming that it starts working as expected)?

Will a scrub be enough?

Thanks,

Eddi

Status
Not open for further replies.