SuperMicro X11SSM-F + Kaby Lake G4600 = reboot loop on booting Linux/FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiratNisse

Cadet
Hello,
I'm trying to set up a new system but I'm having a bit of an issue booting FreeNAS (or any linux really..).

Hardware:
- SuperMicro X11SSM-F
- Intel Pentium G4600
- 16 GB Samsung M391A2K43BB1 (DDR4 / ECC)

The problem:
After a successful POST, as soon as kernel begins to output text (maybe fills half a page++) the system will reboot and I'm back at the SUPERMICRO logo and system doing the IPMI initialisation.
I'm able to start GRUB, I can move around, edit boot commands, but system will restart as soon as I boot a kernel.
I'm able to boot FreeDOS and Memtest86.

The system is a bare minimum setup, just an empty case, with PSU, mainboard, cpu and ram + a boot medium (USB stick or SSD via SATA).

What have I tried:
  • GUI boot freenas, no difference.
  • Upgrade BIOS to R 2.0c (via FreeDOS) - originally had 2.0b
  • Run memtest86, 5 passes, no errors.
  • Reset BIOS settings to "optimized defaults".
  • Boot ubuntu, boot SSD with older installed linux system, boot arch, boot system rescue cd - all fail and instantly reboots the computer..
Any ideas what could be wrong?

The only older part in this system is the PSU, it's a Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-650C 80+ from 2011. IPMI reports all voltages as within range, and I've also checked them with a multimeter.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm going to go with PSU problem on this one.

Even if the voltages all report in range during a stable load, during the transients experienced as a system starts to boot and puts demands on a PSU can push the voltages way out of spec. As PSUs get older, their ability to hold stable voltages during these transients can be greatly diminished. Even with a multimeter on the leads during the boot process, I doubt that you'll be able to see the transients because of the multimeter response time. You'd probably need a high-speed ADC capture device to see what's actually going on.

PiratNisse

Cadet
I think you're right, I got a 100mhz oscilloscope at work I could bring to check for voltage dips.
But I guess ordering a new Seatronic 650 gold would be the best action here.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might want to check the BIOS / UEFI to see if there is a "Legacy" boot mode. It is worth trying.

PiratNisse

Cadet
PSU confirmed, I stripped down my media-pc for it's PSU, and while a 300W isn't enough to run the server with drives it did manage to boot the system with a single SSD just fine.

Also, thank you for the tip about Legacy-mode :)

New Seatronic 650 gold on the way.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
having a bit of an issue booting FreeNAS (or any linux really..).
FreeNAS is not Linux at all. Just pointing this out because sometimes people try to apply Linux debugging methods to FreeNAS, but they don't work because FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, which is very different in some ways from Linux.

Nate5425

Cadet
I am looking at doing this exact set-up with a Pentium 4600. Partspicker says the 11ssm is incompatible with the G4600. I know it will work with a bios update. How did you accomplish the bios update? Can this be done with the G4600 in the CPU slot or did you have to do it another way?

Thanks
Nate

Nick2253

Wizard
You could get lucky, and get a mobo with an updated BIOS. However, you'll need a working CPU to do the update, which means a previous-gen CPU.

I'd say at this point you'd be unlucky to get a board with the old bios since Kabylake bios has been available for over a year, it would have to be a board from very old stock.

Last edited by a moderator:

PiratNisse

Cadet
How did you accomplish the bios update? Can this be done with the G4600 in the CPU slot or did you have to do it another way?
My plan was to buy the license for IPMI BIOS-upgrades (from wiredzone.com or similar) and do it via IPMI.
However, I was lucky and got a updated motherboard, so I didn't have to deal with this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.