Supermicro X11SSM-F 3.3VCC exeeded under FreeNAS?

cas206

Cadet
New FreeNAS user. Not sure if this should be posted as a bug or if known problem. Didn't see it mentioned in FAQ.

Using the IPMI web GUI interface of the Supermicro X11SSM-F, I get 3.7 volts reading on 3.3VCC. This is flagged as Red, "High Non-recoverable". Supermicro's first response was for me to upgrade the firmware (1.54) and reset to factory. While doing this, I noticed the voltage reading dropped to 3.55 Volts (green) during boot, but settled on 3.69 Volts (red) when boot complete. This was repeatable over a couple of reboots. I booted from a FreeDOS CD and the voltage reading is steady at 3.55 volts.

Could something in FreeNAS cause the voltage to exceed recommended value? Could FreeNAS be causing an incorrect reading over IPMI?

cas206

Cadet
Another test: Bootable Knoppix 8.1 CD

3.3VCC voltage reads 3.65 V (red, "upper critical")

So:
FreeDOS CD: 3.55 V (green)
Knoppix 8.1: 3.65 V (red, critical)
FreeNAS: 3.69 V (red, non-recoverable)

Bad board (voltage regulator), or software induced faulty reading (or voltage)?
Confused.

cas206

Cadet
Addendum: I should add that before I noticed the voltage reading irregularity, the FreeNAS system had been up and running without a problem for about 3 days. Supermicro support has taken more information from me and escalated the case. Will report back, in case, this becomes FAQ worthy.

I was leaning toward software problem. However, I don't see any other reports of this issue. To me, that would infer that it's my hardware. Would be curious to see voltage reports from other X11SSM users.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The on board IPMI has nothing to do with FreeNAS. It's a completely separate system contain in the BMC controller. If you're having voltage issues I'd look to the power supply for your problem and if that checks out contact Supermicro support.

cas206

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I've already submitted to Supermicro and they have pushed the case to hardware team.

I'm getting different voltage readings while running different Operating Systems. The readings are consistent across multiple power off/on events. The O.S. may not be directly related to the voltage reading, however, my guess is that a hardware subsystem is being pushed harder by different flavors of O.S. which is affecting the reading.

FreeDOS CD: 3.55 V (green)
Knoppix 8.1: 3.65 V (red, critical)
FreeNAS: 3.69 V (red, non-recoverable)

cas206

Cadet
I'd look to the power supply for your problem

It's the power supply, a Coolermaster RS-850-EBMA (850 W). Multimeter shows 3.7 volts is real. Wasn't sure if an EVGA 400W supply would spin up the disks, but it did. Voltage reads 3.4 Volts. Problem solved (at least until I get new power supply).