SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F build from hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiz

Cadet
I'm building a system to do FreeNAS and handle multiple other VM workloads. The X10SRH-CLN4F board was a perfect fit for what I wanted to do. It was also my first SuperMicro board. In the past, I always used Asus which worked great for me, but I've read so many great things on this forum that I decided to give SM a try. I paired it with an E5-2696 v4 CPU and thought this would be the build of my dreams.

After I finished the install, I could not get the system to POST or boot under any circumstances. Basically, the machine powers on and then constantly reboots without ever posting or making beep codes. SuperMicro claims the board is compatible with all Intel 2600 series V4 CPU as long as you are running 2.0a BIOS. I confirmed with their tech support that this board ships with the correct BIOS for V4 support. They also stated the E5-2696V4 CPU is specifically supported. After a week of troubleshooting, I got absolutely nowhere. Trying to reset CMOS did nothing and all the steps I tried with SM support failed to rectify the issue. Everything was stripped off of the board and I even tried starting it outside of the chassis to ensure there were no power shorts going on. At this point, SM recommended that I return or RMA the board. I chose to return it to Amazon and obtained a brand new one. While the board was being returned, I found that my E5-2696V4 CPU had a 150W TDP, which is not compatible with the board (max 145W TDP). This was my "a-ha!" moment. I returned the CPU and purchased a brand new E5-2699V4, which has similar specs, but also has a compatible 145W TDP. I was finally on the road to success...or so I thought.

A week later, I have a new board and a new (different) processor in my hands, which I confirmed with SM is specifically supported (just like the last one, lol). I hooked everything up again and also used a different PSU to be sure. What happens? The same exact problem. At this point I'm only attempting to use the Motherboard/CPU and the same reboot loop occurs. I contacted SM again and we went through the same troubleshooting steps, but nothing we did rectified the issue. They tested a similar config on their end, but their E5-2699V4 CPU was embedded. They did not have a non-embedded CPU to test, but said that it *should* work. At this point, I held my ground and stated there has to be a compatibility issue here somewhere, but they recommended I return or RMA the board AGAIN and this was all they could do.

Ok, I returned both the processor and the board as they asked. I received a brand new X10SRH-CLN4F along with a new E5-2699V4 processor. Third times the charm, right? I hooked it up to a third and different working PSU for good luck. I didn't even bother to install it in the chassis, because I knew what was waiting for me around the corner. What happens? THE SAME THING. The board reboot loops over and over. Resetting CMOS with the battery or the jumpers does nothing. I've built many server systems in the past, but I've never encountered one this troublesome. Usually you can isolate the problem down to a single component by stripping down the computer and going through each part one by one, changing RAM sticks etc. But, nothing I did fixed the problem. IPMI failed to respond and could not be accessed, which is not surprising. This is the first time I've ever had to accept defeat when it comes to system building.

I contacted SuperMicro and they are once again saying I should return or RMA the board, because they can't figure out what's wrong. That's not going to happen. I'm hoping you guys have a different suggestion, because my experience with SuperMicro has been terrible and I'm ready to go back to Asus at this point. I regret ever trying this brand. I did a google search and found others who were experiencing this exact same problem with SuperMicro boards, but usually a BIOS update or RMA fixes the issue. In other cases, there was no posted fix. Anyone have suggestions? Because I'm ready for a mental institution.

Motherboard: X10SRH-CLN4F
Processors tried: E5-2696V4 & E5-2699V4
RAM: MEM-DR432L-SL02-LR24 (M386A4K40BB0 - Recommended by SM)
PSU's tried:
Seasonic PRIME Titanium (850W - Their flagship PSU)
Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 (860W)
Antec CP-850 (850W)

Bad RAM?

Swiz

Cadet
I have four sticks and tried each one individually. All of them are on the compatibility list for the board.

Maybe that RAM isn't as compatible as Supermicro says it is. Maybe Samsung changed something. Maybe Supermicro made a board change. Maybe there was a batch problem with the RAM. Maybe the delivery truck got hit by lightning, frying all four sticks of RAM.

What else was the same when testing all three boards?

The TDP of the 150 watt processor shouldn't have done much. TDP is a thermal rating loosely related to how much power the CPU draws.

Either way try booting with no RAM. If you get to system initialization and proceed to get 4 short beeps followed by a 5th long beep then you know something is up with the RAM.

If it still bootloops then I would hazard a guess it's the mother board. If IPMI is not even sending a signal I would think there is something really up with the mother board.

Swiz

Cadet
Kevin, everything is the same each time. 3 different boards of the same model. 3 different processors (2 different models). Tested on 3 different PSU models. Same strange result. No beeps even without RAM inserted.

Today, I pulled the battery/PSU again and let it power on for 10 minutes. After waiting, I tried to access the IPMI based on the IP that my router showed and there was no response. As a last try, I shut the machine down, set the jumper for recovery, unplugged the battery and PSU for another 10 minutes and then fired the machine back up again. FINALLY IPMI has responded. This is the most progress I've made in weeks. I was able to get in and verify the board is in fact running 2.0a. I can open iKVM/HTML5 and Console Redirection, but there is still no video signal no matter what I try. I made an exception in the Java list just to be sure that nothing weird was going on.

Under the hardware list, it doesn't list my specific CPU. It just says "CPU1". I don't know if that's normal or not. I also noticed under RAM it only lists DIMMC1, which is not inserted. I have one stick of RAM inserted into A1 and I've tried all four sticks at this point.

ewhac

Contributor
Wild Stab In The Dark: Are you plugging your PSUs into a three-prong grounded outlet? If so, have you tested the outlet to ensure it's wired properly?

Everything you're describing sounds like weak/flaky power, or you have a ground plane-related problem somewhere...

Stux

MVP
Or bad ram.

Is the ram known good?

Redcoat

MVP
Another (really) wild stab - try using Chrome with a cleared cache and no cookies to access IPMI. This is based on an unrelated browser-performance experience I had today that I still cannot explain ...

Swiz

Cadet
I could not get the 2696V4 or 2699V4 to work. I purchased multiple E5-2698V4's from Amazon that ended up being counterfeits. These were sold and shipped by Amazon, not a third party, so this surprised me. They must have sourced a bad batch from somewhere, because these processors were registering in BIOS as completely different lower end Xeons. Other people posted the same thing online at the time. I believe they have resolved the problem now. Finally I received a legit E5-2698V4 and this worked fine.

There is a guy who managed to get the 2696V4 to work with his Asus board here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-four-motherboards-bsod-party-continues.17156

Status
Not open for further replies.