SuperMicro NIC no longer functioning, is it easy to add a new NIC?

Where do I find the supported list of NICs for FreeNAS 11.6?
Is it just plug & play?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't recall a 11.6 release of FreeNAS, but assuming you're looking for a Gigabit NIC (since that's what your motherboard has built-in), just get an Intel gigabit NIC. Cheap, widely available, and work well. No drivers to install or anything like that, but you might need to reconfigure FreeNAS to assign your IP to that NIC rather than to the onboard interface.

I don't recall a 11.6 release of FreeNAS, but assuming you're looking for a Gigabit NIC (since that's what your motherboard has built-in), just get an Intel gigabit NIC. Cheap, widely available, and work well. No drivers to install or anything like that, but you might need to reconfigure FreeNAS to assign your IP to that NIC rather than to the onboard interface.
And we're talking about any NIC that says "Intel Chip"? or a Intel brand card?

This for example? https://www.newegg.com/p/14U-00ZK-00002

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would probably look for an Intel-branded card, but I'd expect anything with an Intel chip would be fine.

Davvo

MVP
11.6 is quite old now, consider upgrading.
Yup. I've rarely checked in for a while. But...now seems like an upgrade is necessary.

11.6 is quite old now, consider upgrading.
Pointer to the upgrade process from 11.6 to whatever is current/stable?
TrueNAS at this point I take it?

Davvo

MVP
Pointer to the upgrade process from 11.6 to whatever is current/stable?
TrueNAS at this point I take it?
Current is 13.0-U5.3, I would suggest a 12.0-U8 > 12.1 > 13.0 path, then use the WebUI to update to current release.

EDIT: oh, do note that a few things changed, the most important iirc is the jail manager (we are on iocage now).

Last edited:
Current is 13.0-U5.3, I would suggest a 12.0-U8 > 12.1 > 13.0 path, then use the WebUI to update to current release.

EDIT: oh, do note that a few things changed, the most important iirc is the jail manager (we are on iocage now).
not sure what that means (that the Jail manager changed).
is there a walkthru you can point me to to deal with the setting up iocage, coming from whatever we had previously?
I pulled a set it and forget it for my initial setup several years ago. So my know-how is...minimal at best.

Davvo

MVP
not sure what that means (that the Jail manager changed).
is there a walkthru you can point me to to deal with the setting up iocage, coming from whatever we had previously?
I pulled a set it and forget it for my initial setup several years ago. So my know-how is...minimal at best.
I was not here yet when things changed, but I recall a guide or something about the change from warden to iocage. It's not much, but it's something to feed the search bar.

It should mean you will have to redo your jails.

Etorix

Wizard
Good news: If you don't know what a jail manager is, you likely do not have jails, and therefore need not care.

Good news: If you don't know what a jail manager is, you likely do not have jails, and therefore need not care.
Medium news...I have jails and care.

I was not here yet when things changed, but I recall a guide or something about the change from warden to iocage. It's not much, but it's something to feed the search bar.

It should mean you will have to redo your jails.
Based on the search, that migration to iocage happened around 11.2. I'm at 11.6.
I thought you meant there was a change going from Free to TrueNAS

JV9

Dabbler
Where do I find the supported list of NICs for FreeNAS 11.6?
Is it just plug & play?
FWIW - I have a supermicro itx board where I had disabled the 10gig ports via a jumper and when I later re-enabled them, they didn't work.

I applied a bios update and they started working again and were recognized by the OS.

Davvo

MVP
Based on the search, that migration to iocage happened around 11.2. I'm at 11.6.
I thought you meant there was a change going from Free to TrueNAS
As I wrote I wasn't around at that time, so forgive any imprecision.
There have been other changes (mostly a few things getting deprecated like GELI encryption iirc).

As I wrote I wasn't around at that time, so forgive any imprecision.
There have been other changes (mostly a few things getting deprecated like GELI encryption iirc).
No worries. Appreciate any help offered.

New NIC installed (finally)...but how do I reconfigure FreeNAS to use the new one?
I have no GUI access at this point. Only the command prompts.
I used to have igb0, igb1...now have igb2

danb35

Hall of Famer
You use the console menu to configure the new interface.
Honestly...I was stumped for a while.
Set the static IP and subnet...nothing.
Tried it again...still nothing.
Lights on the new nic were solid green/blinking green...seemed good, but still nothing.
Then I removed the settings for igb0 and igb1...PRESTO...working like a charm.

Will the original interfaces reset if/when I reboot? Or it automatically will stay on igb2 from now on?

danb35

Hall of Famer