Is Freenas Plug ang Play fo 10GB nic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps some may find this question stupid , but for one who doesn't know how FreeBSD works it make sense:

I want to add 10GB nic card to my already functioning FreeNAS 9.3. Do I just shutdown the PC , add the new nic , then boot up and Freenas detects Intel X540-T2 and install the proper drivers and start showing new extra interface ready to go ? Just like Windows , or perhaps Freenas need to be installed from scratch in order to detect new hardware and install the proper drivers ?

What is the proper way to be done ? I understand windows but I am very new to FreeBSD.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
As long as the NIC is supported by Freenas, it should be as simple as you wrote (power down, insert card, power up). Check out the 10Gb Networking Primer sticky by jgreco.

So Freenas will detecting new hardware on every reboot like windows does ? And I can and and remove nics without need to reinstall in order new nic to be detected and divers installed ?

BTW I did read that post from jpgreco you mention juat an hour ago, thanks anyway

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
So Freenas will detecting new hardware on every reboot
Yes.
like windows does ?
No.

Like any *nix I've used, FreeBSD probes the hardware at boot time and loads the drivers for whatever it finds, assuming it has them. Windows installs drivers the first time it sees a new hardware device, then gets upset when things change again, sometimes forcing you to reactivate your license.

As long as the NIC is supported by Freenas, it should be as simple as you wrote (power down, insert card, power up). Check out the 10Gb Networking Primer sticky by jgreco.

It's seem you have pretty powerful Freenas system I gather from your signature, I am assuming you do have 10G nic for your system ?

zambanini

Patron
for some cards you need to set some tuneables. chelsio, intel and so on.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I have the chelsio 10g cards. Just waiting for a switch. :smile:

I have the chelsio 10g cards. Just waiting for a switch. :)

Do you think Intel x540-t2 is good for freenas ? Do you think i have to setup some tuneables to make it work ?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You look exactly like Frans Bauer, the Dutch pop musician.

I would look at the 10Gb thread, i use Chelsio cards and havent had ONE issue with them, there SFP's or there connection to my 10Gb switch.

I would look at the 10Gb thread, i use Chelsio cards and havent had ONE issue with them, there SFP's or there connection to my 10Gb switch.

Are Chelsio better then intel for 10GB ? Are Chelsio have 10G-T over Copper ?

Are Chelsio better then intel for 10GB ? Are Chelsio have 10G-T over Copper ?
The chelsio cards can take either a SFP+ Twix cable or a SFP+ LC connection, i use the LC connection to my 10Gb switch that also has LC XFP's. If you need to do copper intel might be the better choice.

I have everything wired with cat6 , the idea is to use the existing coper infrastructure and run 10G-T base on some machines. Coper will work for 1g and 10G , I like it better than fiber, unless extreme properties of fiber are needed.

Also I don't trust my self terminating fiber connectors.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

cyberjock

Inactive Account
for some cards you need to set some tuneables. chelsio, intel and so on.

I've never had a need to. Even the stuff that people tout as "recommended for 10Gb" either hasn't really made things any different from my testing, or it is now the defaults. Note that over time the defaults for FreeNAS have changed, so just because 8.3 had some small buffer doesn't mean that in 9.3 the buffer is still small. I'm using straight defaults with my limiting factor being my zpool.

I only know of one person I've worked with lately that has needed any kind of tunables for networking. That user had a VPN connection between two sites on other sides of the United States. Since FreeNAS is designed for low-latency connections we had to make some changes to their config to allow for high-throughput, high latency connections.

But as a general course of business, if you are having to add settings for networking, you are probably doing something wrong. That something might be using the wrong tool to fix a problem, but you are almost certainly not doing things "totally correct".

Care you share what you are "needing" to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.