Suggestions on buying IBM ServeRAID M1015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlach

Patron
A few thoughts:

1.) What stage were they in when you started? OEM firmware (Megaraid)? Did you use the megarec utility to completely erase the cards as outlined in this guide?

2.) I just successfully upgraded the one that was at p14 and downgraded the one that was at p19

Code:
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 14.00.00.00 (2012.07.04)
Copyright (c) 2008-2012 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2) 

Num   Ctlr            FW Ver        NVDATA        x86-BIOS         PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS2008(B2)     16.00.00.00    10.00.00.06      No Image      00:03:00:00
1  SAS2008(B2)     16.00.00.00    10.00.00.06      No Image      00:0b:00:00

The only problem I had was in the downgrading. The NVDATA (presumable non volatile data storedy by the x86 bios) could not be downgraded. I solved this by doing a "sas2flsh -o -e 6" to erase all the non-manufacturing data (so I didn't have to reenter the SAS Address, if you want to wipe everything I think you can do "-e 7" instead, but then you need to reenter the SAS address from the sticker. (There is also an "-e 8" just labeled "MegaRAID firmware" in the SAS2Flash_ReferenceGuide.pdf in the downloaded lsi zip, but I am not sure what it does)

It could be that there is something on there causing the sas2flash utility to be confused, and a complete erase prior to trying to flash it might help?

Also, no need to pull cards and do them one at a time, as previously suggested here. You can use the "-cpci" command to specify the adapter by PCI address like this:

sas2flsh -cpci xx:xx:xx:xx -o -f 2118it.bin

Just don't trust the PCI address between reboots. In my application (but this may be because I am virtualizing and direct I/O forwarding) the PCI addresses are not the same in my fully booted system as they were from the DOS USB stick.

I would recommend doing a sas2flash -listall right before flashing, and grabbing the appropriate PCI addresses from there at that point.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Unfortunately I won't be much more help than this, as this is the limit of my experience.

Last edited:

Mr_N

Patron
I can tell you right now that the 9.3 beta plays very badly with v19 firmware. If I remember correctly the drivers were v17 or v18.

In my case, things were so badly that the pool wouldn't mount and the system would kernel panic.

Was 9.3 going to use v17 or v18 drivers at one stage but ended up being left with v16? or was it never going to be updated?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Was 9.3 going to use v17 or v18 drivers at one stage but ended up being left with v16? or was it never going to be updated?
No such plans, that I know of.

Officially, nothing has changed in IT mode since P16, so we're not missing out on anything.

Mr_N

Patron
I've been using P18 since freenas went from v15 to v16 and havent had any issues, i thought maybe it would have been updated by now but if nothings changed much then theres no reason to :)

I put a higher firmware than driver in preparation for future updates to freenas and was told it was usually ok to have higher if not the same (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/m1015-question.15641/)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've been using P18 since freenas went from v15 to v16 and havent had any issues, i thought maybe it would have been updated by now but if nothings changed much then theres no reason to :)

I put a higher firmware than driver in preparation for future updates to freenas and was told it was usually ok to have higher if not the same (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/m1015-question.15641/)

In theory.

In practice, we've seen some very nasty stuff happening. On P20, people have lost their pools almost randomly.

Mr_N

Patron
yeah well im not updating it until freenas gets above v18 and looks like that will be a while

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS will likely NEVER be on P18. P16 is deviated from the FreeBSD default driver provided by LSI and has lots of improvements in performance and reliability that were never applied by LSI themselves. So you should expect P16 to be the norm for the foreseeable future (likely until we remove the drive from FreeNAS altogether in 5+ years).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This, by the way, is a reference to the last time I recall someone confidently predicting the unification of two drivers, namely the ncr and sym drivers, which power early-era PCI SCSI cards from, oh, like 1993. Still not unified and both still usable. :smile: The 5 year timeframe seems rather optimistically near-term.

mattlach

Patron
FreeNAS will likely NEVER be on P18. P16 is deviated from the FreeBSD default driver provided by LSI and has lots of improvements in performance and reliability that were never applied by LSI themselves. So you should expect P16 to be the norm for the foreseeable future (likely until we remove the drive from FreeNAS altogether in 5+ years).

Well, I just applied the latest updates, and it is now apparently on p20 (or so the blinky yellow warning light thingie tells me).

Time to flash firmware again, I guess...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I just applied the latest updates, and it is now apparently on p20 (or so the blinky yellow warning light thingie tells me).

Time to flash firmware again, I guess...

You are correct. Apparently there as some push to update, but now P21 is out... lol.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You are correct. Apparently there as some push to update, but now P21 is out... lol.
Seriously? Just the other day I was mislead by the SAS1 P21 release (so, mpt driver) and now the SAS2 P21 is out, too? For crying out loud.

Hmm, I just checked for the LSI SAS 9211, and they only have P20.
The Avago acquisition did bring one very welcome change (Now that it's too late for us :rolleyes:) - they actually list all the versions on the main product page.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Seriously? Just the other day I was mislead by the SAS1 P21 release (so, mpt driver) and now the SAS2 P21 is out, too? For crying out loud.

Hmm, I just checked for the LSI SAS 9211, and they only have P20.
The Avago acquisition did bring one very welcome change (Now that it's too late for us :rolleyes:) - they actually list all the versions on the main product page.

Jeez. That's going to put guys like me who like to deal with this arcane stuff outta a job!

mattlach

Patron

Where are you seeing p21? I pulled up the avago page for downloads and displayed everything for the 9211-8i, and the latest I see is p20?

mattlach

Patron
Also, I should note. In my setup I have two direct IO forwarded M1015 controllers flashed to 9211-8i HBA's (IT firmware) in ESXi to my FreeNAS guest.

This time around was was not able to reboot the host, due to other guests activities, so I decided to try it from within the guest. My rationale was that there really shouldn't be any difference if it is direct IO forwarded.

I didn't want to do it from FreeNAS though, as I have no idea what impact trying to flash the controllers when a pool is up, might have. I know I could have exported the pool, and then reimported it again, but I didn't want to do that.

I had a lubuntu 14.04 boot iso kicking around my desktop, so I mounted it, and rebooted the FreeNAS guest into linux. From there I downloaded the sas2flash linux utility and the p20 92118i.bin file from the Avago website, and flashed it successfully from within Linux, then booted back into FreeNAS, without ever rebooting or powering down the host.

I knew it was a risk, as this is a little untested, but I was willing to take it in this case, and it worked out for me.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Where are you seeing p21? I pulled up the avago page for downloads and displayed everything for the 9211-8i, and the latest I see is p20?

Probably wander around on some of the other LSI2008 pages. I tried but their website was being cruddy and taking forever.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Probably wander around on some of the other LSI2008 pages. I tried but their website was being cruddy and taking forever.
Nah, they all seem to only have P20.

Status
Not open for further replies.