SOLVED Flashing M1015 to IT Mode [Resolved]

Soarin

Cadet
Resolved, the EBay seller sent me the wrong card, they had sent me the M5014, wrote M5015 on the back, but sold it as an M1115.
Hello! I just got my IBM ServeRAID M1115 and I am following a guide from ServeTheHome for flashing the M1015 (which strangely enough when booting that's what the card says it is. I can't remember if it was like that before attempting this or after), or maybe the seller sent me the wrong card on Ebay. :oops:

https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

It doesn't shoot out any errors when I type in the first two commands then reboot, I then get back into the USB and type:
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

It doesn't give any errors but I can't type anymore, like it's still trying to run the command and I leave it to sit for around a half hour and still nothing. I tried rebooting and redoing the commands, this time I ran "sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin" and still the same result.
How long should I let it run for this? It has been about 40m now and I still am leaving it on, I think the RAID card works because in the WebGUI for the card it picks up all my drives and lets me RAID them but to my understanding I want to passthrough and let FreeNAS handle everything.

The server I am attempting this on is the Dell PowerEdge R210, no errors or anything and it boots fine but I just can't get the drives to detect unless if I end up RAIDing them in the controller. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I was sent the wrong card, it is the M1015. I erased the firmware and now when I try to flash it, I get presented with "No LSI SAS Adapters Found!:
Edit2: When I use Megarec to list all devices it still detects my card (FreeDOS) but when I try to use sas2flsh it shoots out ""ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program", is there a fix for this? I've tried every 2118it.bin and sas2flsh.efi I could find.

Edit3: I re-ran the Megarec command to remove the firmware on it again since I read that my problem could be caused by the firmware still being on there partially, it successfully removed everything again without errors when doing so, but I still get "No LSI Sas Adapters Found" error

Edit4: I've tested more and found that no matter how I try to flash it and what version I use with my server machine (Dell PowerEdge R210) it doesn't seem to detect (or even load) the LSI card. However on my computer with an ECS motherboard and an ivy bridge CPU it does detect just fine & is accessible in DOS mode however I can't initialize PAL and I've looked through my CMS to allow PCI. In UEFI, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there or if it's a physical limitation. I hope this post has enough info by now.

Last edited:

Soarin

Cadet
**old comment, I've since edited in updates**
I've found a newer archive and moved the card over to my desktop, I was able to run megarec and clear the firmware on my card.

It's now cleared and I booted into EUFI and tried to flash the firmware and I get the error of "No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available", as of right now I just have a bricked card. Is there a way to get it detected? Thank you

Last edited: