Stripe and Mirror with 3 drives?

mider_

Dabbler
Hi everyone!

I have two 3TB Hard Drives and one 6TB hard drive.

I want to stripe the two 3TB drives together, to make a 6TB VDev
and i want the 6TB drive to mirror the two 3TB drives

Is this possible through the web gui?
what changes would I have to make to enable this?

My original thought was to use intel RST to stripe my two 3tb drives together and make a mirrored pool

Thank you for any reply!

JaimieV

Guru
No, there's no facility in the GUI for this - and it's a pretty bad idea anyway. Invest in another 6TB drive and then you can have two sensible mirrors.

Please don't use the Intel controller to do anything other than straight SATA/AHCI. Anything it does counts as "lying to ZFS" and will make some sorts of data protection/recovery complex or impossible to tell if anything's wrong or even working.

mider_

Dabbler
No, there's no facility in the GUI for this - and it's a pretty bad idea anyway. Invest in another 6TB drive and then you can have two sensible mirrors.

Please don't use the Intel controller to do anything other than straight SATA/AHCI. Anything it does counts as "lying to ZFS" and will make some sorts of data protection/recovery complex or impossible to tell if anything's wrong or even working.
Then what am I going to do with the two 3tb drives? forget about them?

JaimieV

Guru
Not mine to say, I'm just advocating best practices.

But it you want a suggestion - you could stripe them into a vdev, make a 6TB pool and use it to backup the main pool.