Streaming Media from NAS to mac mini via AFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suiname

Dabbler
So, currently my media center setup is as follows:

I have a mac mini attached to my television which is acting as my home theater PC. For watching media, I use xbmc because it is familiar and awesome. I really like how well it discovers my media, and it's easy to use which is important for my girlfriend to be able to use it when I'm not there.

Currently the media is stored on my NAS running freenas 8.3, and all the media is on an AFP share which is seen by the mac mini. xbmc then accesses the AFP share and streams the files on my TV, the machines are both connected to the same gigabit switch so performance is solid. Everything was working swimmingly for the longest time, however, the last two movies I've watched have started showing some issues. A few days ago for the first time I noticed a yellow blinking light on the alert section at the top right of the web admin interface. When I click on it, it would say:

WARNING: The volume Share (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the entire pool from backup.

I went to the commandline and input:
Code:
 zpool status -v

Surprising to me that it said the last file I had streamed was corrupt. I did a scrub and cleared the zpool alert, it did not come back. However, yesterday I was streaming another movie, and in the middle of the movie a couple times the stream paused and was stuck and my mac mini appeared to temporarily lose connection to the AFP share (the OS warned me it was lost, but it was so quick it was already reconnected by the time I finished reading the warning). Restarting the stream allowed me to watch the file to completion. Again, the warning light in the admin interface told me that the file I was watching was corrupt, again a scrub cleared up the problem.

So I'm wondering, is this not the best way to stream media from my NAS to my TV? Should I be leveraging something else, like DLNA to do so? Thanks in advance.

paleoN

Wizard
Again, the warning light in the admin interface told me that the file I was watching was corrupt, again a scrub cleared up the problem.
This would seem to suggest an underlying hardware problem.

What's the actual output of:
Code:
zpool status -v

glabel status

Suiname

Dabbler
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status -v                                               
  pool: Share                                                                   
 state: ONLINE                                                                  
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 3h27m with 0 errors on Wed Jan  9 03:27:19 2013     
config:                                                                         

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                              
        Share                                           ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/bee3fdea-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/bf47bb9d-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/bf92645e-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
          gptid/43703f6d-3de6-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be    ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              

errors: No known data errors         

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# glabel status                                                 
                                      Name  Status  Components                  
gptid/bee3fdea-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada0p2                      
gptid/bf47bb9d-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada1p2                      
gptid/bf92645e-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada2p2                      
gptid/43703f6d-3de6-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada3p2                      
                             ufs/FreeNASs3     N/A  da0s3                       
                             ufs/FreeNASs4     N/A  da0s4                       
                            ufs/FreeNASs1a     N/A  da0s1a 

Suiname

Dabbler
Ok, so there error came back again, this time here are the results of zpool and glabel:

Code:
  pool: Share                                                                   
 state: ONLINE                                                                  
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An         
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.    
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors      
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.         
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P                                      
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 3h27m with 0 errors on Wed Jan  9 03:27:19 2013     
config:                                                                         

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                              
        Share                                           ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/bee3fdea-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/bf47bb9d-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be  ONLINE       0     0    
 0                                                                              
            gptid/bf92645e-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be  ONLINE       0     0    
 1                                                                              
          gptid/43703f6d-3de6-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be    ONLINE       0     0    

0                                                                              

errors: No known data errors         

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# glabel status                                                 
                                      Name  Status  Components                  
gptid/bee3fdea-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada0p2                      
gptid/bf47bb9d-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada1p2                      
gptid/bf92645e-3de4-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada2p2                      
gptid/43703f6d-3de6-11e2-8f42-00012e2f10be     N/A  ada3p2                      
                             ufs/FreeNASs3     N/A  da0s3                       
                             ufs/FreeNASs4     N/A  da0s4                       
                            ufs/FreeNASs1a     N/A  da0s1a   

Not sure if that sheds light on anything. Thanks in advance

paleoN

Wizard
First, you have a degenerate pool configuration, a 3 x disk raidz1 vdev and a single disk stripe vdev. Which means you effectively have no redundancy. If you lose that single disk, ada3, you lose the entire pool.

Is that the same device that had errors before? You're "lucky" the problem happened on one of the disks in the raidz1 vdev as ZFS was able to fix it. Output of:
Code:
smartctl -q noserial -a /dev/ada2

Suiname

Dabbler
Ugh, I didn't realize that was the case, I thought if I created a raidz1 pool it would be like raid5 where I can handle 1 disk loss. I assume at this point it's too late to rectify this without destroying and recreating the pool? Anyways, here's the output of that command:

Code:
smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p4 amd64] (local build)     
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net      

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===                                            
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Green                                  
Device Model:     WDC WD20EADS-00S2B0                                           
Firmware Version: 01.00A01                                                      
User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]                             
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical                                    
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]               
ATA Version is:   8                                                             
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated           
Local Time is:    Wed Jan  9 16:51:51 2013 CST                                  
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.                      
SMART support is: Enabled                                                       

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===                                        
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                        

General SMART Values:                                                           
Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity        
                                        was suspended by an interrupting command
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.  
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                        without error or no self-test has ever  
                                        been run.                               
Total time to complete Offline                                                  
data collection:                (42600) seconds.                                
Offline data collection                                                         
capabilities:                    (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.        
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off supp
ort.                                                                            
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new     
                                        command.                                
                                        Offline surface scan supported.         
                                        Self-test supported.                    
                                        Conveyance Self-test supported.         
                                        Selective Self-test supported.          
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering        
                                        power-saving mode.                      
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.         
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.                
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.      
Short self-test routine                                                         
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.                                
Extended self-test routine                                                      
recommended polling time:        ( 484) minutes.                                
Conveyance self-test routine                                                    
recommended polling time:        (   5) minutes.                                
SCT capabilities:              (0x303f) SCT Status supported.                   
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control supported.   
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.          
                                        SCT Data Table supported.               

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16                             
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:                               
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_
FAILED RAW_VALUE                                                                
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -
       0                                                                        
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   144   144   021    Pre-fail  Always       -
       9758                                                                     
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -
       17                                                                       
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -
       0                                                                        
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -
       0                                                                        
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -
       751                                                                      
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -
       0                                                                        
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -
       0                                                                        
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -
       16                                                                       
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -
       7                                                                        
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   171   171   000    Old_age   Always       -
       89684                                                                    
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   116   111   000    Old_age   Always       -
       36                                                                       
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -
       0                                                                        
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -
       0                                                                        
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -
       0                                                                        
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -
       0                                                                        
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -
SMART Error Log Version: 1                                                      
No Errors Logged                                                                

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1                                 
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]          

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1                  
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS                                    
    1        0        0  Not_testing                                            
    2        0        0  Not_testing                                            
    3        0        0  Not_testing                                            
    4        0        0  Not_testing                                            
    5        0        0  Not_testing                                            
Selective self-test flags (0x0):                                                
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.            
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Thanks for all your help, really upset at myself for not making sure I had a better pool setup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh my.. the OP has a mess on his hands. :(

paleoN

Wizard
I assume at this point it's too late to rectify this without destroying and recreating the pool?
Correct. Backup, destroy and recreate.

For the checksum error, the disk appears to be fine. You might want to consider running memtest86+ to check your RAM. Let it run overnight and if it comes back clean you're most likely fine.

Suiname

Dabbler
yuck. Luckily I have another drive big enough to house the backup on. How do I make sure to create a zpool that has redundancy (I think I selected all the defaults last time I created the pool)? Thanks again for all your help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just follow the manual. Don't try to add disks after you've made the zpool.

Stephens

Patron
And read the guide linked to in noobsauce80's signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.