Storage solution for jails/plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarchdodra

Explorer
My FreeNas system is a home 24/7 machine, but it is only ever actually being "used" like 1-2 hours per day. The rest of the time, the disks are spinned down.

When I install jails or plugins, I plug in a new USB drive, and install it there. This prevents my jail drive from spinning 24/7, and also saves on a sata port. In particular, I also put the system dataset on it now.

It's kinda slow, but that's OK, it's worth it.

The real issue I'm running into though is that this is the 4th (!) USB drive that's died on me this year. I figured the first were flukes, but not the last one. Seems the wear is just too much for these poor sticks (which were just 8Gb sticks).

In any case, what kind of storage would you recommend for low volume requirements (I really need no more than 8 Gb), but that does have some "intensive" writing. Are some USB keys better suited for this task? Will getting a brand-name stick with higher volume work, or would it only delay the inevitable?

Are there any flash based solutions adapted to my usage, that preferably cheap?

solarisguy

Guru
I have found two (mirrored) laptop hard drives to satisfy my needs. But, as you said, that takes away SATA ports...

monarchdodra

Explorer
I did not know about windows to go. They are rather on the expensive side though. Maybe I can find a low volume one which has an acceptable price tag? Or maybe I should just buy a brand USB key with 32 gigs. Does Freenas/Zfs do wear leveling?

What about compact flash? Does that wear slower?

monarchdodra

Explorer
Well, if anybody reads this thread, I ended up going SSD. The price has dropped a fair amount since last time I looked for them, so I got a Kingston 60 Gig SSD (SSDNow V300) for 35 €.

Turns out this was a very good choice (I think) compared to the USB keys I've been using, as it does speed up a lot of jail-related operations I have been doing. That, I put all my swap space on the SSD, as my Hard drives are actually kind of slow in terms of IOP.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, if anybody reads this thread, I ended up going SSD. The price has dropped a fair amount since last time I looked for them, so I got a Kingston 60 Gig SSD (SSDNow V300) for 35 €.

Turns out this was a very good choice (I think) compared to the USB keys I've been using, as it does speed up a lot of jail-related operations I have been doing. That, I put all my swap space on the SSD, as my Hard drives are actually kind of slow in terms of IOP.

Please, please, please, please DO NOT CHANGE THE SWAP SPACE ON YOUR DRIVES. It will come back to bite you later, especially if you set it to 0.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. someone has ZERO clue how swapspace works on FreeNAS. If he did he'd realize it *should* have been on his disks.. but whatever.

This is what happens when people think they know best, but really don't. Stuff like this is why Democrats are in the White House. ZING!

fracai

Guru
Is the swap issue that replacement disks might not be exactly the same size? Or something else.

I've always thought it deceptive that it's called swap space, but the real use is buffer for replacing a disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.