Storage solution for system volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

neubert

Dabbler
Hi,

this issue is similar but not identical to the topic "storage solution for jails/plugins" we had earlier this week: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/storage-solution-for-jails-plugins.21807/

I have ZFS in mirrored mode on two cheap 4 GB USB sticks and use this as the system dataset pool. This is to allow the actual storage pool to spin down and save energy.

From past experience in a different context, I knew that USB sticks do not last long under such conditions - thus the redundancy. Nonetheless it is not much fun swapping the USB sticks once a month ;-) and I therefore seek a more lasting solution.

I have a sufficient number of SATA ports on the Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F main board. So my favorite solution is to add a small SSD to keep the system dataset pool.

Are there other reasonable possibilities, e.g. using a RAM disk or turning the logging completely off or delaying disk writes as much as possible? If possible at all, I do not know how to achieve any of these.

Best regards,
Boris

joeschmuck

Old Man
The SSD is probably your best choice, and you can find them at very good prices every once in a while. I would buy the least expensive one you can find, the size isn't an issue. And as the other thread pointed out, you can put your jails on it as well.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I bought an SLC based SSD on ebay used and I use it for both my jails and system dataset.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm considering the same thing however I will need to purchase a SATA Add-On board unfortunately. It would be nice to see FreeNAS able to be installed on a SSD and while leaving at least one partition free for jails and system dataset. I know, it's been talked about many many times before. Time to go BBQ some burgers :cool:

panz

Guru
I tried to put the System Dataset on a USB stick, but I don't trust this solution. I'm waiting for v. 9.2.1.6 Release and I'll reconsider all my storage configuration, relying on the recent experiences.

I'll keep the base scheme: 1 main pool + 1 backup pool (6 disks RAIDZ2 each). I'm taking into consideration to put the System Dataset and the Jails on a Western Digital WD10JFCX Red (I have one of these disks running on my pfSense box and it draws a ridiculous amount of energy).

neubert

Dabbler
Dear all,

thanks for all the answers.

I decided to go for a 1 TB 2,5" WD Red HD with a 2,5"-to-3,5" adapter to fit in the remaining drive bay. The power consumption is 0.6 W idle/1.4 W busy. It's a good trade off between price (62 EUR) and space. I will use the additional space for jails or for data for which I can tolerate a data loss relative to my night backups.

Cheers,
Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.