Boot USB drive failing, process to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Just had two e-mails this morning ...

"willsnas.local.local kernel log messages:
> FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p13 #0 r281084+3bda974: Tue May 12 21:03:11 PDT 2015
> Timecounter "TSC-low" frequency 1496566730 Hz quality 1000
> Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355 []...
> vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0x2cc offMax=0xb04
> epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:2a:b9:00:08:0a
> epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:2a:b9:00:09:0b
> linux: pid 5129 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
> linux: pid 5746 (java): syscall inotify_init not implemented
> arp: 192.168.1.91 moved from 02:2a:b9:00:08:0a to 00:25:90:f0:d3:f8 on epair0b
> linux: pid 6573 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 6639 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 6730 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 6805 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 6880 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 6998 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 7051 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 7106 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 7188 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 7234 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 7315 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented
> linux: pid 7396 (java): syscall epoll_create not implemented

-- End of security output --"

"The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures."

my 8GB Kingston Traveller has bit the dust... http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/personal_business#dtmc

So no more Kingston Travellers for me... :(

DoulosGeek

Dabbler
Oh help.

I started getting what the OP posted..."(Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.)"

I bought two new 8GB Sandisk sticks and followed instructions here to mirror onto a replacement http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_system.html#mirroring-the-boot-device

I removed the original (the mirror appeared to be up and running) and have lost control of the server.
1. FreeNAS web interface is no longer responding
2. Can't SSH (responds, but won't take my credentials/password)
3. Shares are still available on the network, but the SFTP site we've been using for 2 years is not.
4. If I insert or remove a USB device the O/S still shows the action at the console screen, but no terminal prompt is there.
5. Can't control the server at all.

What's the best/safest way to regain control? To safely reboot the server and not corrupt any data?

I'm aware that I can boot an ISO, re-install FreeNAS, restore the config, etc. My concern is just killing power to the server and corrupting the ZFS volumes.

avalon60

Guru
I have been using a Kingston Data Traveler SE9 8Gb to boot my Freenas box for about 18 months or more now, and more recently a Sandisk Cruzer Facet 8Gb for about 8 or 9 months as a backup drive.

I wonder if you have been using your Sandisk drives for much longer.

DoulosGeek

Dabbler
I shut it down, tried to boot, it failed. Installed 9.3 from ISO to the new Sandisk USB, restored the config - all is well in my IT world again.

webpilot

Dabbler
My dell poweredge server has two vertically stacked internal USB 2.0 ports that are really close, has anyone had issues with using the low profile SanDisk Cruzer Force CZ71 as a boot device? I have one standard SanDisk boot device and wanted to add a second 16GB in mirror.

wreedps

Patron

Fuganater

Patron
My dell poweredge server has two vertically stacked internal USB 2.0 ports that are really close, has anyone had issues with using the low profile SanDisk Cruzer Force CZ71 as a boot device? I have one standard SanDisk boot device and wanted to add a second 16GB in mirror.

I think they only way to mirror your install is during the initial install of FreeNAS. You may just need to back up your config, add the second USB drive and then reinstall FreeNAS on both drives. (manual tells you how to do this). Once the install is complete, restore your config file and you should be good to go.

gpsguy

webpilot

Dabbler
As long as the same size USB drive is available you can use the GUI. The original USB was a ULTRA and is was not the same capacity as the Cruzer Force (15.6 GB indicated smaller than ultra). I ended up saving a current configuration file in the GUI. Downloading the stable full version 9.3 ISO, installed it and selected that the software be installed on the two alike new USB drives. Once webadmin was up, I updated upward to same 9.3.1 version of the configuration file. After rebooting, both USB drives show a mirror for the boot device. I kept the original USB as a back up. So far so good.

Kristi

Dabbler
does this happen often? I mean Im running FreeNAS for 3 months and have an failing USB drive? (Sandisk Extreme)
I still didnt get what I really have to do ... I dont have a mirrored boot drive. when I backup the settings (no data), is my data in the ZFS pool safe?

"
NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM

freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0

gptid/6f47a27c-01f5-11d6-89e8-60e32703761a ONLINE 0 0 3
errors: No known data errors "

thx

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes your data is safe, your pool is separated from the os for this exact reason.

Kristi

Dabbler
OK, so I can backup also the "data" on the boot drive, should be no problem, right?

is it a risk to only clear the errors and go on? if the USB drive is really faulty, the error will show up again?

So then I mirror the USB drive. How do I tell the system to use the new drive instead the old one that I can remove the old?

thx

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
OK, so I can backup also the "data" on the boot drive, should be no problem, right?
That's otherwise known as the config backup.

is it a risk to only clear the errors and go on? if the USB drive is really faulty, the error will show up again?
What do you hope to gain from ignoring the problem?

So then I mirror the USB drive. How do I tell the system to use the new drive instead the old one that I can remove the old?
You don't. It's a ZFS mirror, with sight restrictions.

ethereal

Guru
it's definitely faulty - replace it as soon as possible - backup your config file as well.

i used to use mirrored usb flash drives - now i have a second hand ssd - much better in so many ways and only $26

freenas is very good at alerting you to problems so please don't ignore warnings - why would you possibly think your usb is tickety boo?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
so how can I change the faulty one ?
Ensure you have an up-to-date backup of your config file, reinstall FreeNAS to a new device and upload your config file.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Just got my alert this morning on this. Sorry to resurrect an old thread here. Placed an order for 2 new Sandisk Ultra Fit 16GB drives http://a.co/9fgbJpo I'm going to first attempt to just load one of em in there and mirror it then replace the faulty one since the mirror should just pick up the missing disk and allow me to swap it. Worst case I'll have to reinstall but I just grabbed the latest copy of my config this morning. So the new drives will be here on Sunday so as long as I don't have a long power outage I think I'll be ok.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Well that replacement couldn't have been any easier to accomplish. I plugged in the new one and told FreeNAS to attach new storage. Waited for it to complete and then went back to the box and pulled the bad one out and plugged in the new one. Told FreeNAS to replace it waited 5 mins to let it resilver and now everything is happy no more flashing red light and the system handled it like a champ with no issues to any of my end users. Thank you guys for such a pain free process.

pschatz100

Guru
I have been running FreeNAS from USB drives for several years now, and I have learned the following:

1) All USB flash drives are unreliable over the long term. The better ones are better, but they are still unreliable.
2) At the first sign of trouble, I replace the offending drive. I average one replacement per year.
3) Make backups of your FreeNAS config. Even without an automatic script, it takes just a couple of minutes to do this. I back up my configuration once a month.

devnullius

Patron
2) At the first sign of trouble, I replace the offending drive. I average one replacement per year.
Any way I can tell which USB drive was the offending one? After the reboot, the warning went away...

Status
Not open for further replies.