So what version of FreeNAS are you running in Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
General question about what is your "go to" version of FreeNas you are using? I am pondering moving to the 11.x versions but am very content with the 9.10 Stable. Not too sure if I want to mess with a good thing so just getting some opinions.

Thanks!

All of them?

* FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)
* FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583)
* FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
* FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE

All are rock solid stable with comparable performance. Version depends more on when installed, size of maintenance window and laziness of system administrator than anything particular to the release itself. Of note, with only one exception, we use FreeNAS for file services only: no jails, VMs, etc. So, I can't vouch for extended functionality on most versions.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I'm still on 9.3 because the first revisions of 9.10 were really unstable and then I didn't bothered to upgrade after (which would also need me to reflash the LSI controller to the correct version and I'm a bit lazy...).

It's rock stable since then so I don't see why I'd upgrade now, especially to the 11 version as I saw some of nasty bugs (memory leak, deletion of pool on import, ...), I'd wait at least a few months if I were to upgrade.

Mirfster

All of them?

* FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)
* FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583)
* FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
* FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE

All are rock solid stable with comparable performance. Version depends more on when installed, size of maintenance window and laziness of system administrator than anything particular to the release itself.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks, I have an instance of FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d) in a test environment but guess for now I will stick with the 9.10 Stable until things wind down on the 11.1 stuff. :)

Mirfster

I'm still on 9.3 because the first revisions of 9.10 were really unstable and then I didn't bothered to upgrade after (which would also need me to reflash the LSI controller to the correct version and I'm a bit lazy...).

It's rock stable since then so I don't see why I'd upgrade now, especially to the 11 version as I saw some of nasty bugs (memory leak, deletion of pool on import, ...), I'd wait at least a few months if I were to upgrade.
Yeah, kinda have the same thoughts as you on waiting. Never really cared to be "cutting edge" in a Production Environment myself. :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am running 11.1-U1 and it only has one issue that bugs me, but I fixed that with a small edit to one of the files. The U2 revision should have that corrected which should make it a much better revision.
One of the items that is 'fixed' from previous releases is the redundancy that is given to the system swap. My system has been very stable with 11.1-U1 and I expect it to be even better on the new version when it is released.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
9.10.2-U6. I have several jails so I'm waiting for the jails interface in the new GUI to be feature complete and mature a bit before I make the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.