software version documentaion page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtexun

Dabbler
So where do I find the list of driver versions located in each FreeNAS release.

I've read over and over how it is CRITICAL to have the right firmware loaded for the version of FreeNAS I am running.

But when I search the release notes, there is zero mention of the driver versions for that release. I suppose I could spend two weeks reading every word printed of every version with published release notes, then assume that the version does not change until mentioned again in a subsequent note, but that seems rather arbitrary given that I should assume nothing.

I can go back to FreeBSD pages on kernel versions and eventually find what I am looking for, but that doesn't trace back to the FreeNAS project, so again I'm left making assumptions.

I could read the forum pages, Where I can see I should be using one of thtee versions, except those posts don't specifically say what freenas version they apply to... so again I'm having to assume facts that are not present. Funny thing, the sticky for the LSI page mentions version 15. Yet in the forums I can find 16 and 17 also mentioned... so the most dated version is in the post that we should be using for this. To be fair the post just shows a version 15 screen shot, it doesn't say to use 15, but it also doesn't say which version to use or where to get the version number for each release.

The forums seem to be the /best/ repository of specific FreeNAS technical information, but it is not cross-indexed to versions, and it is not deterministic in supporting specific versions. So really old information is presented with new information, and dates of posts are the only possible link to a specific version, and it is a casual link at best, not enough to bet my data on. And reading every post in an 8 page thread that spans two years is not going to help me feel good about getting the correct versions...

This is really basic information. There are stickies dealing with the controller cards that are very specific about everything EXCEPT version specific critical information. I will happily volunteer to maintain a sticky page of this info, if the missing element is simply manpower to do the work.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The easiest way is to look at the FreeNAS stuff on github.

Status
Not open for further replies.