So is FreeNAS 11 really ready for prime time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiknNutz

Patron
I admit I have not been following the development all that much, but now see there is an option to move to FreeNAS-11-STABLE. I am currently on 9.10-STABLE. I have poked around thru the various forums, looking for a sticky or something leading me to the answer. If I move to 11 are there any known pitfalls to doing so or is it literally as simple as choosing the FreeNAS-11-STABLE train and letting the updater do it's thing? More specifically, are there other things that I need to do? I saw some mention of rebuilding jails and such, or is that strictly related to the release candidates and not the STABLE version? I am sure there must be a thread somewhere, but a forum search did not yield what I was looking for.

gpsguy

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RC4 is being held up by some AD work.

ChiknNutz

Patron
Thank you for the link to the other thread. I agree that the word STABLE is very misleading in this case. To me that indicates it really is the G2G version, but it appears that is simply not the case yet.

Stranded Camel

Explorer
FWIW, I've been using FreeNAS-11.0-RC3 since the day after it came out, having upgraded directly from version 9. The upgrade went flawlessly, and I've only run into two bugs:

1. Every once in a while, while doing something from the web interface, it'll throw an error about not being able to create a new thread. I'm not sure how this affects stability or performance of the server, but after this happens the left-hand column of the web interface can't load, so just to be safe I reboot (I have to SSH in and do a `reboot` from there, since the reboot button in the GUI is in the column that doesn't load).

2. Bhyve VMs do not start on boot when they're on encrypted volumes, regardless of whether or not this setting is checked. Obviously, they can't start until the volume is decrypted, but in this case the expected behaviour would be for them to start automatically upon decryption, and this doesn't happen.

Mind you, like all users I only make use of a subset of FreeNAS's functions -- in my case, beside the base server and disk functionality, I use SSH, NFS, bhyve, SMART, DDNS and the UPS service. But so far it seems solid enough for an RC.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
FWIW, I've been using FreeNAS-11.0-RC3 since the day after it came out, having upgraded directly from version 9. The upgrade went flawlessly, and I've only run into two bugs:

1. Every once in a while, while doing something from the web interface, it'll throw an error about not being able to create a new thread. I'm not sure how this affects stability or performance of the server, but after this happens the left-hand column of the web interface can't load, so just to be safe I reboot (I have to SSH in and do a `reboot` from there, since the reboot button in the GUI is in the column that doesn't load).

2. Bhyve VMs do not start on boot when they're on encrypted volumes, regardless of whether or not this setting is checked. Obviously, they can't start until the volume is decrypted, but in this case the expected behaviour would be for them to start automatically upon decryption, and this doesn't happen.

Mind you, like all users I only make use of a subset of FreeNAS's functions -- in my case, beside the base server and disk functionality, I use SSH, NFS, bhyve, SMART, DDNS and the UPS service. But so far it seems solid enough for an RC.

Have you reported these bugs?

Stranded Camel

Explorer
Have you reported these bugs?

I wanted to, but when I get to the bug tracker all I see is a nearly blank page with little more than "Welcome to FreeNAS / PC-BSD / iXsystems bug central" on it.

Is that the wrong place?

Stux

MVP

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is that the wrong place?
It's not the wrong place, as such, but you can also report a bug directly through your FreeNAS GUI. Use the Support button. Or use the link @Stux gave.

Stranded Camel

Explorer
Thanks for the tips, guys. I've reported one of the bugs (here) and will report the other one as soon as it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.