Snapshot Before & After problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl0s

Dabbler
Hi.

I want snapshots to be constant, not just 9am to 18:00.

I am using FreeNAS as a backup destination, and the backup (robocopy sending only changed files) starts at 11pm at night. There is a chance that some of the backups will run over past midnight.

I looks like the widest time range I can set for snapshots is: 01:00am to 23:30.

So it's impossible for snapshots to be working between 23:30 and 01:00.

Or am I misunderstanding how it works? I actually thought I would simply set a time, like a scheduled task, e.g. :create snapshot at 1am, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

thanks,
Carl

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi.

I want snapshots to be constant, not just 9am to 18:00.

I am using FreeNAS as a backup destination, and the backup (robocopy sending only changed files) starts at 11pm at night. There is a chance that some of the backups will run over past midnight.

I looks like the widest time range I can set for snapshots is: 01:00am to 23:30.

So it's impossible for snapshots to be working between 23:30 and 01:00.

Or am I misunderstanding how it works? I actually thought I would simply set a time, like a scheduled task, e.g. :create snapshot at 1am, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

thanks,
Carl

Yeah your misunderstanding it, it's actually kinda confusing to me too. But basically within the time range it will periodically run the task at whatever interval you set.
Basically the time range is a limiter and the interval is how often within the interval.
If you just want around midnight everynight I do from 00:00:00 to 00:15:00 with an interval of 1 day. ZFS snapshots themselves are instantaneous.

carl0s

Dabbler
Yeah your misunderstanding it, it's actually kinda confusing to me too. But basically within the time range it will periodically run the task at whatever interval you set.
Basically the time range is a limiter and the interval is how often within the interval.
If you just want around midnight everynight I do from 00:00:00 to 00:15:00 with an interval of 1 day. ZFS snapshots themselves are instantaneous.

Thanks for that. That helps explain it. So the range limiter is only really for if you are doing hourly, quarter-hourly etc. That makes sense, thanks.
I understand about the instantaneous nature - nothing is actually done until subsequent writes etc.

cheers,
Carl

carl0s

Dabbler
Only problem is, there is no 00:00 in the time list. It starts at 01:00, and ends at 23:30!

Status
Not open for further replies.