SOLVED Puzzled by Snapshot task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evertb1

Guru
This weekend I have been busy with reconfiguring my FreeNAS box. In order to do this I have installed FreeNAS on one of my lab computers and let it act as my file server for the time being. I replicated all my datasets to the temp server and switched my Windows clients to it (I am lazy so I used scripts for the mappings). When I was done, I replicated the datasets back to my main FreeNAS box and reversed the changes in the mappings. So far so good, no problems to speak of.

However, when I wanted to schedule snapshot tasks for the datasets in the new volume, I noticed that there was already one task in place? Namely for the whole new volume (very unpractical in my case). I was also the proud owner of 79 snapshots already. They should not have been there anyway because the task was scheduled for weekdays and not weekend days. No biggy, I can throw the snapshots away and destroy the (unwanted) task, but I saw something strange in the overview of snapshots. It shows snapshots with a timestamp of a date and time that the new Volume was not even created yet. I created the Volume yesterday afternoon (2017/07/01 around 16:00) and it was populated with some replication tasks during the past night (saturday 01 to sunday 02). Still, the first snapshot of the volume is from 2017/06/30. Anyone out there who knows what's going on here? Because I am a bit puzzled by it. Oh by the way: I checked the system date and time of the FreeNAS box and they are OK.

Attachments

• SnapshotOverview.jpg
    SnapshotOverview.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
For the snapshot time descrepancy, my guess would be that the time/timezone on FreeNAS was not correct or maybe it's using GMT on the files.

Evertb1

Guru
Did you configure replication in the UI? If so, that would have created a snapshot task, replicating all data including snapshots.

http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#replication-tasks
As always the answer is simple. And you have shown me the right direction. Luckely the temp server was still available. So I started it again and checked it out. Yes, every snapshot I received in the pull computer was there. And logically those snapshots were shown as beloning to the new volume as the datasets were replicated in the new volume. Ah well, you live you learn. I did not realize that by executing a replication task, a snapshot task was created at the pull site. So to me those were coming out of the blue. But thinking a bit about it I find it actually pretty clever that it is done that way.

Evertb1

Guru
For the snapshot time descrepancy, my guess would be that the time/timezone on FreeNAS was not correct or maybe it's using GMT on the files.
To be honest: the first thing I did was checking the system date and time. And they were fine. And my local time is just 1 hour ahead of GMT in the summer and 2 hours in the winter. The time stamp of the first snapshot was at least 18 hours before creation of the Volume.

In the mean time m0nkey has enlighted me about what was going on. Later on I can have a good laugh (at my self) out of it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.