Periodic Snapshots - Begin and end Time for weekly’s ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear Folks,

I do have the following periodic snapshots and replication up and running;

every 1 hour begin 09:00 end 18:00 (mo - fr) keep 1 week

every 1 day begin 20:30 end 21:00 (mo - fr) keep 1 month

every 1 week begin 22:00 end 22:45 (fr) keep 4 months

every 4 weeks begin 22:46 end 23:46 (fr) keep 1 year

Daily replication at 23:59….so far so good.

I think I understand the hourly and daily snapshots BUT I am not sure about the weekly’s due to the begin and end time - Is someone able to explain and or tell me if this snapshot strategy makes sense ?

Cheers & Best

Last edited:
Does zfs list -t snapshot show the expected snapshots of each type? If so, everything is fine.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Yes, but I'm a bit curious about the displayed file size of all snapshots compared to hourly snaps.
That's why I do ask here regarding to the begin and end time times....I mean the begin and end times makes sense for me only for the hourly's but not at all for the others....

Yes, but I'm a bit curious about the displayed file size of all snapshots compared to hourly snaps.
It is impossible to offer an intelligent comment on this without seeing the displayed file sizes that puzzle you.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
It is impossible to offer an intelligent comment on this without seeing the displayed file sizes that puzzle you.

Well, If the size of the dailys, weeklys and monthlys are smaller than the hourlys I do not understand at all.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Snapshot storage will be generated when between the defined interval the volume grows right?

kdragon75

Wizard
A snapshot will only contain the equivalent of the delta from the previous snapshot. this is an important distinction from the snapshot containing the delta as the snapshot contains the original unmodified data. Basicly when you "create" a snapshot, you say fork all new writes to an unallocated part of the disk and reference the old blocks in the snapshot.
Does this help?
Snapshot storage will be generated when between the defined interval the volume grows right?
Also, I need to correct your language as nuance is extremely significant here.
Snapshot storage *consumption* will be generated when between the defined interval the volume grows *changes* right?

pro lamer

Guru
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.