Small company, Hardware recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't seriously expect anything close to gigabit performance from WiFi, regardless of what marketing bullshit they try to feed you. The latency alone is a 20-50ms increase, with good gear.

porcomaster

Dabbler
You can't seriously expect anything close to gigabit performance from WiFi, regardless of what marketing bullshit they try to feed you. The latency alone is a 20-50ms increase, with good gear.

Yes I know but I was expecting at least half market size , after I try to get Nas on this router and use 100% cpu for a couple of days he is on end of his lifetime , so I really need another router this one is really slow now haha

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
If you're serious about setting up a NAS for video editing, you need to forget about wifi.

porcomaster

Dabbler
If you're serious about setting up a NAS for video editing, you need to forget about wifi.

sorry about that, the topic got a little off control; I was talking about my project that I am doing to learn, my uncle's project will be all cable

porcomaster

Dabbler
Hi, guys, I made a 2 hour trip to my uncle's city to make some tests with my system, but he had a reunion in last minute, and I had just 10 min to check with his son and my cousin, I didn't have any more time.

I made a quick test with 100MB/s, I did transfer 2,5 GB of 16 min video to NAS, in 25 s, he did open premier , on his own computer, and open the file instantaneously.

I asked to do some crazy editing just to test things, and he did save immediately, and did take 40 s to export, they normally do a 15-30 min editing videos, it's difficult to they make longer videos.

For this small test , he thinks it's enough to him, I will make at least two NICs for each machine, but I will look for a motherboard that will upgrade later on, some that have a native 10gigabit NIC

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I will make at least two NICs for each machine
You want to magically bond them together? Unfortunately, that doesn't work... It kinda works on the server when dealing with 10+ clients, though.

porcomaster

Dabbler
You want to magically bond them together? Unfortunately, that doesn't work... It kinda works on the server when dealing with 10+ clients, though.

thanks for this information, I tough it would be familiar to this software and community, but I didn't do any research, I would have made a horrible mistake, he will need to choose 1 Gb or 10 Gb.

I do have now a C2550d4i, and it has a dual NIC with team function, this will work as 2Gbs? , I mean, can I pull one Gb from 2 different machines?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I mean, can I pull one GB from 2 different machines?
No, more like ~10 machines. Yeah, it's silly, but there's little to do about it.

Stux

MVP
No, more like ~10 machines. Yeah, it's silly, but there's little to do about it.
The second machine will essentially have a 50% chance of using the same nic as the first machine. Same with the third machine.

Which is why you need a number of them for the odds to balance out. In which case 10gbe on the server would've been better ;)

porcomaster

Dabbler
The second machine will essentially have a 50% chance of using the same nic as the first machine. Same with the third machine.

Which is why you need a number of them for the odds to balance out. In which case 10gbe on the server would've been better ;)

so, I connect both NICs to the router or not, will it make any difference; I just have five devices at home

another question about my machine, how do I know that my computer is using ECC, I need to press any button or not, I saw somewhere that it need to activate somehow, and didn't find that topic again

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
so, I connect both NICs to the router or not, will it make any difference; I just have five devices at home
It will cause pain if not correctly configured, so just connect one of them and leave the other one empty.

another question about my machine, how do I know that my computer is using ECC
Ah, that question. I wish I had good answer for you, but it's mostly "stick to known-good hardware".

Stux

MVP
You can run dmidecode, and see that your memory is recognised as ECC.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can run dmidecode, and see that your memory is recognised as ECC.
Doesn't really prove that it's working, though.

porcomaster

Dabbler
It will cause pain if not correctly configured, so just connect one of them and leave the other one empty.

Ah, that question. I wish I had good answer for you, but it's mostly "stick to known-good hardware".

so, the hardware is already using it? , I did buy a c2550d4i and 16 GB Crucial ECC ram, CT2KIT102472BD160B/CT2CP102472BD160B, that a lot of people use it here, is this good enough ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It should work.

Stux

MVP
Doesn't really prove that it's working, though.

This is true. If you want to prove its working, about the only option is to tape over a single data pin on a Dimm and run a memtest

Status
Not open for further replies.