BUILD Hardware validation/help for new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamafoos

Cadet
Hey!

Thank you for the input, read up and this seems to be the best i could figure out. Dont think ill need a xeon since i have an htpc which will do the transcoding anyways. Just want some validation before i press the "buy" button now hehe.

Couldnt find a nice small case with 8 bay either... if you have any recommendations please tell me.

(I want to do a new FreeNas build. I want a few jails maybe an easy server for terraria or something but mostly for downloading series and movies. And normal backup ofc. My thoughts for components now are…)

Motherboard: X11SSM-F -- 250 dollars

Processor: Pentium G4520 -- 90 dollars

Memory: Samsung ecc 16gb -- 95 dollars

Case: Node 804 -- 100 dollars

Power supply: Corsair 450W Gold or another cheaper 450 golden one if i find -- 70 dollars

Drives: WD reds 3tbs x2 for starters -- 200 dollars

Usb-Stick: Sandisk 3.0 16gb -- 10 dollars

Total: 815 dollars ish
(These links isnt where ill buy it from, just to see the components. Shipping from us costs a fortune..)

Thanks in advance, Lamafoos.

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
Have any suggestions about it or any components I should use instead?
X11-SSL-F Compare your selected motherboard with this one, in case you are missing something. In general, X11 grants you DDR4 and RAM MAX capacity of 64GB. That is a must at this point to argue for a somewhat proper futrue proofed NAS.
E3-1230v5 Gives you 4 additional logic cores. Those are definitely worth the investment.

Stux

MVP
Node 304 is a Mini ITX case btw.

The board you mentioned is Micro ATX

I assume by going with X9 instead of X11 you're getting great used prices right?

Dice

Wizard
I assume by going with X9 instead of X11 you're getting great used prices right?
the ebay url provided displays a higher price than I paid for my new X11SSL-F :0

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
the ebay url provided displays a higher price than I paid for my new X11SSL-F :0

Strange, you'd think you'd go with X11 then and buy a cheap skylake pentium or something :-/

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP

Lamafoos

Cadet
Okey thank you for the input! An X11 sounds like the way to go even tho the ddr4 sticks seems to be way more expensive? Would a pentium be fine for my use, (storage, jails, simple server (maybe a vm) or do I need a xeon for that?

Late reply, sorry. been away.

Status
Not open for further replies.