Small company, Hardware recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

porcomaster

Dabbler
Hi guys, first of all, i do ask sorry for any grammar mistake, I am from Brazil, and need to improve my English,

I would like some advice to build a machine to my uncle's small company; I already look someone's post that would need something close to it but didn't find any.

My uncle has a small business that works with video editing and loses a lot of time sending archives to one employee to another, the purpose of this machine is to take off all HDs of said devices.

Everybody will edit on it by cat5e - cat6; everybody will have at some point 80-250 GB in each machine for system and programs installation only.

Documents and saves will be easy access to anyone working there, we are talking about 3-4 machines using it, and 4 - 30 TB, at least for now.

he does not keep his work after 2 or 3 months that his client already has it , and would be nice to have a machine to upload his work at night, at this time he waits to finish it, turn off computer and head home

I think that if I can get close to 2gbs, it will be enough,

my problem is, what do I need to look?

I already know that I need to seek for ECC, Intel NIC and best NAS hard drive possible.

But I am not sure which Intel NIC to look?

What motherboard should I search? ECC I know, do I have anything else to look up?

Best processor that I could afford

I have about 5 thousand Brazilian Reais to spend, this is equivalent to 2000 dollars, but everything here is expensive so that would look like 1000 dollars on united states without HDs.

he will listen to me if you guys think that this budget is too small, but I can't let him go bankrupt.

I am reading cyberjocks "Hardware recommendations" post, but it does not give out a lot of names, and in Brazil, we do not have a lot of choices, sometimes we pay for real good hardware in the same price of united states sometimes we pay too much for one not that great.

Example:
h81i : United States = 70 dollars , Brazil = 90 dollars.
C2550D4I : United States = 280 dollars . Brazil = 490 dollars.

We have things here for the right price, but it's luck must of all

I do not need names and brand, as much as they are obviously the best information that anyone could give me, but I would be glad to hear specifics,

Example: "at least 4 GHz processor", "dual core at least", "NICs after 2015 ", "do not buy Asus.".

and any information that you may be thinking to be useful to next one or me

and again I am sorry if this information is already at some place

Ps: I already have a FreeNAS machine at home, and I am learning

Stux

MVP
Hmmmm

I'm not sure editing on a NAS is going to work at gigabit speeds. And everything gets very expensive at 10gig.

Is your Uncle doing HD video editing?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you looking to perform video editing directly on the FreeNAS system, meaning that the employee would not grab a copy of the file and then edit it on the local computer? I don't believe that is what you are saying but like you said, your English is not that good so I just wanted to be clear.

If you just want to have employees download a copy to a local machine and edit, that is easy to do but if the files are really large, and they typically are when dealing with video editing, then you may desire a faster network connection that 1Gbit/sec. Stuff like this costs considerable money.

So you also want fast storage and that means special vdev configurations to make it all very fast, and this means more hard drives.

I'm not trying to tell you that you cannot do this but when it comes to a business, you cannot take any risks with your data.

Also, although it may cost more, you could consider a TrueNAS system because these come with support so if you have a problem, I would expect you to be able to pick up the phone and call for technical assistance. But maybe you can be the person how will maintain the system and as long as you know what you are doing, it should be fine. WARNING - Do not encrypt your hard drives without experimenting on how to replace a failed drive or two. Encryption is a sure fire way to loose all your data if you are not very careful. This happens all the time and just happened a few days ago for some poor schmuck who added a drive, never monitored his drives for failures, lost it all when two drives gave up.

So you will get some advice here and just be certain on what you need the system to do before you purchase anything. Also you need to know how much storage capacity you will need for the next 3 years. This will help select the drives you require because most people underestimate or seriously over estimate, and they may only see the RAW capacity, not the Formatted/Usable capacity which varies based on the vdev configuration.

porcomaster

Dabbler
Hmmmm

I'm not sure editing on a NAS is going to work at gigabit speeds. And everything gets very expensive at 10gig.

Is your Uncle doing HD video editing?

yes he does, photoshop, adobe premiere, 3D max, and 5 or 6 high-grade programs, each of his machines does have high cost 3 - 7 thousand dollars, but each one of them bring another employee, a NAS system will boost his time management but will not improve profit.

Last edited:

porcomaster

Dabbler
Are you looking to perform video editing directly on the FreeNAS system, meaning that the employee would not grab a copy of the file and then edit it on the local computer? I don't believe that is what you are saying but like you said, your English is not that good so I just wanted to be clear.

If you just want to have employees download a copy to a local machine and edit, that is easy to do but if the files are really large, and they typically are when dealing with video editing, then you may desire a faster network connection that 1Gbit/sec. Stuff like this costs considerable money.

So you also want fast storage and that means special vdev configurations to make it all very fast, and this means more hard drives.

I'm not trying to tell you that you cannot do this but when it comes to a business, you cannot take any risks with your data.

Also, although it may cost more, you could consider a TrueNAS system because these come with support so if you have a problem, I would expect you to be able to pick up the phone and call for technical assistance. But maybe you can be the person how will maintain the system and as long as you know what you are doing, it should be fine. WARNING - Do not encrypt your hard drives without experimenting on how to replace a failed drive or two. Encryption is a sure fire way to loose all your data if you are not very careful. This happens all the time and just happened a few days ago for some poor schmuck who added a drive, never monitored his drives for failures, lost it all when two drives gave up.

So you will get some advice here and just be certain on what you need the system to do before you purchase anything. Also you need to know how much storage capacity you will need for the next 3 years. This will help select the drives you require because most people underestimate or seriously over estimate, and they may only see the RAW capacity, not the Formatted/Usable capacity which varies based on the vdev configuration.

he asked for anything that could be transferred to his computer and put back, but if I manage to get 1-2 GBs, it will work with 1/6 of an SATA III, I thought it would be enough, but we will do some tests before, if not enough it will work just as a repository,

They take too much time to grab an external hard drive to do that for them now. Later on, I will try to get my hands on 10gbs cards.

Stux

MVP
1-2GB/s will require dual 10gig networking.

Dual gigabit will get you 100-200 megabytes/sec, which I think is too slow for video production use.

Pity this is 10K USD.
https://teksyndicate.com/videos/accusys-thunderbolt-san-review-shared-tb-storage-faster-10-gig

I think you need a 10 gig nic for each machine, dual 10gig for the server, a 10 gig switch, and then a NAS with lots of disks.

Basically if it's fast enough you can maybe edit off the server. I saw an article on this somewhere, some packages (i.e. FCP require AFP, others iscsi others cifs/smb)

Alternatively you can at least shuttle content fast.

But 10 gig is expensive.

porcomaster

Dabbler
1-2GB/s will require dual 10gig networking.

Dual gigabit will get you 100-200 megabytes/sec, which I think is too slow for video production use.

Pity this is 10K USD.
https://teksyndicate.com/videos/accusys-thunderbolt-san-review-shared-tb-storage-faster-10-gig

I think you need a 10 gig nic for each machine, dual 10gig for the server, a 10 gig switch, and then a NAS with lots of disks.

Basically if it's fast enough you can maybe edit off the server. I saw an article on this somewhere, some packages (i.e. FCP require AFP, others iscsi others cifs/smb)

Alternatively you can at least shuttle content fast.

But 10 gig is expensive.

Sorry I did write it wrong , I mean 1-2 gbs , sata III , can handle just 6gbs, one 10gigabit and I would bottleneck on driver , but I do get you , I probably will get him tomorrow and buy components on biggest road of eletronics in Sao Paulo , I want to be prepared on option :p

porcomaster

Dabbler
I think that a common 7200 rpm driver can handle maximum of 160 MB/s of writing speed, and 200 MB/s of network could be enough to work with video editing , but I do not really know

Last edited:

maglin

Patron
I think with either duel or quad 1G NIC and a good switch you will be off to a good start. Your can transfer at about 100MBs over 1G NIC and with a few people accessing at the same time you want the extra connections. 10G is probably going to be faster than your fathers work stations and handle write wise.

You will probably need about $3000 US to start off with. Maybe more depending on the amount of drives you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porcomaster

Dabbler
I think with either duel or quad 1G NIC and a good switch you will be off to a good start. Your can transfer at about 100MBs over 1G NIC and with a few people accessing at the same time you want the extra connections. 10G is probably going to be faster than your fathers work stations and handle write wise.

You will probably need about $3000 US to start off with. Maybe more depending on the amount of drives you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did buy a used 10/100/1000 24 ports black box LGB2003A switch for him; I paid 40 dollars, so this will help him in the beginning, I was thinking about 2 gigabits, but 3-4 would not be a bad choice until he has money for ten Gbps or it became affordable.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ps: I already have a FreeNAS machine at home, and I am learning
Since you have this already at home, maybe you could bring it to his work and give it a try. I'm not sure what hardware you have but it would give you an idea about what you are up against. But 1Gb NICs will never allow you to edit video right off the server in real time.

porcomaster

Dabbler
M
Since you have this already at home, maybe you could bring it to his work and give it a try. I'm not sure what hardware you have but it would give you an idea about what you are up against. But 1Gb NICs will never allow you to edit video right off the server in real time.

My own hardware is not good enough yet , I am getting 180 mbs on a h81iplus a g3220 and 8 gb ram , but it's already on the way a c2550d4l and 16 gb ecc ram , I just talked with him on the phone , he really needs to edit on NAS system , so I will level up the game and start looking for budget 10gbe nic

edit : i just did 920 Mb/s with a cable connect direct with router (iperf) , i think i may use this system to test his work needs , and i definitly need a better wireless router , note related but i didnt think a realtec card could reach 910 Mb/s 0.o

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Last edited:

Stux

MVP
So, I suspect your question needs to be, how to build the best value 10gige NAS box for HD video editing (I assume you're not looking at 4K!!)

porcomaster

Dabbler
So, I suspect your question needs to be, how to build the best value 10gige NAS box for HD video editing (I assume you're not looking at 4K!!)

I don't think that we have more than 6gbs on any drive , that would suggest that he couldnt do 4k editing , but I don't think he does

maglin

Patron
I don't think that we have more than 6gbs on any drive , that would suggest that he couldnt do 4k editing , but I don't think he does
You've mentioned 6gbs a few times. All that is is the SATA bus bandwidth. It's the same for SAS2. Most HDD's won't read/write much over 150mbs. If you are going to edit video directly on the NAS then you definitely need 10G NIC. I was talking about people just pulling the files and working on there machines with the video files. And 20 GB file might take 4-5 minutes to pull from the NAS on a 1Gbs network.

If going 10G please use some of the hardware from the 10G primer thread that is known to work well. It might be a little more up front but saves you frustration when you are setting it up.

porcomaster

Dabbler
You've mentioned 6gbs a few times. All that is is the SATA bus bandwidth. It's the same for SAS2. Most HDD's won't read/write much over 150mbs. If you are going to edit video directly on the NAS then you definitely need 10G NIC. I was talking about people just pulling the files and working on there machines with the video files. And 20 GB file might take 4-5 minutes to pull from the NAS on a 1Gbs network.

If going 10G please use some of the hardware from the 10G primer thread that is known to work well. It might be a little more up front but saves you frustration when you are setting it up.

thank you, i will look it up

joeschmuck

Old Man

porcomaster

Dabbler
Maybe I missed something here but wireless router?

Sorry ,wireless router for my own project I was getting 5-90 mbs on 2,4 ghz , and 180 mbs on 5ghz , i tough that was because of bad nic , but I made a test with cable and get 910 mbs , so my problem is old router , and now I can test on my uncle's project , I was expecting 300 mbs on 2,4 , and 450 mbs on 5 ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.