SOLVED SK Hynix Memory Mismatch?

whitney

Cadet
Howdy all,

New to forum, but have been running FreeNas on random/salvaged components for years. Finally stepping up to more dedicated FreeNas hardware, but it's still a personal use only device with primary focus being data archive & redundancy.
Recent RAM relevant investments are:
SuperMicro X10SAE mobo
SK Hynix DDR3-1600 8gb x 4 modules
(also new case, HBA, 4 extra HDDs, 2 SSDs(boot), PSU(pending), and various new cables/adapters)

I'm re-using an old i5-4750 I have just laying around, so the "workstation" X10SAE was the only viable choice considering cost & availability of other X10 "server" based boards. Please don't judge me, I'm only building a personal device which is physically in my home and I may also be upgrading to a more modern socket-ed Xeon when a work one gets decommissioned in the future. I've used FreeNas since the v9 days on random salvaged components from decommissioned desktops from work, and haven't needed BMC/IPMI capability in the past.

My inquiry is focused on RAM, I did my best to find memory that was on the "tested" list SuperMicro has online. Took me forever to find a well priced option that wasn't some knockoff Nemix version, or shipped from China/Taiwan/Hongkong/etc. After a few weeks of searching, I finally found the SK Hynix memory that checked all the boxes https://www.newegg.com/p/1A0-00DE-001S7?Item=9SIADRH8HY8048
I felt like I hit the jackpot, an 8GB- MEM-DR380L-HL01-UN16 type SuperMicro module for under $50 a piece(they say new, but it doesn't exactly matter to me). I checked the different seller reviews and chose StarMicro Inc because the reviews were mostly positive& they were based in the US(just paid a few extra bucks for each module)

I ordered 4 sticks, which arrived yesterday in a plastic bulk slotted memory case. After looking at the 4 SK Hynix modules it appears that they are not all the same:
(one module) HMT41GU6MFR8C-PB (correlates to SM's MEM-DR380L-HL01-UN16) with markings of 8GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 12800U - 11 - 11 - B1
(two module) HMT41GU6MFR8C-PB (correlates to SM's MEM-DR380L-HL01-UN16) with markings of 8GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 12800U - 11 - 12 - B1
(one module) HMT41GU6BFR8C-PB (correlates to SM's MEM-DR380L-HL03-UN16) with markings of 8GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 12800U - 11 - 13 - B1

All modules are on the "tested" list of SuperMicro for my mobo, but because my past builds were always based on plugging in whatever memory I could scavenge I'm unsure if this will present any concerns to my new build. I have absolutely no desire to bug the seller and return one, or more, modules if this isn't a known issue but I am hoping for someone with memory experience to chime in because I've got 30 days(minus 2) to request an RMA .

Plus, to make everything worse, I've been planning this build for almost a year and have been saving money every paycheck. COVID hit's, I'm stuck at home, and figured it was time to turn the build "plan" into build "action". Collectively I've easily spent > $1,000 in the last few weeks, but little did I know that quality PSU's(seasonic, evga, corsair) are in unobtainium status because I've already put in orders with 3 different vendors with "in stock" but each time I get an email in a couple days that their sold out/backordered/ etc. This means I have an expensive paperweight at the moment, with a ticking RMA clock on multiple purchases, and no posible way to test my components(because all my salvaged/spare PSUs will not power the X10SAE mobo).

Long rant on a simple question, but I wanted to provide an explanation on why I am asking the simple question in the 1st place instead of "testing" myself. Trust me, I am working on tracking down a usable PSU and as of yesterday I've broadened my search to include 80+ bronze, lesser quality manufacturers, local resellers, and even some of the "cheaper" price gougers(seen some 550-750w "in stock" Seasonic Focus models going for $200-400 + shipping) Feel free to contribute a PSU option you're aware of, but my primary focus of this post is RAM.

Crucial guarantees their ram for certain systems; even if the motherboard manufacturer does not include the ram on their tested ram list; for this reason I went with crucial. In this case; they don't list any for your board.

As for the ram, I would expect it to work once you get your PSU. Do your salvaged/spare PSUs not have the appropriate plugs to power the board? If you could get the system to POST that would help a lot. What size PSU do you think you'll be needing?

whitney

Cadet
Crucial guarantees their ram for certain systems; even if the motherboard manufacturer does not include the ram on their tested ram list; for this reason I went with crucial. In this case; they don't list any for your board.

As for the ram, I would expect it to work once you get your PSU. Do your salvaged/spare PSUs not have the appropriate plugs to power the board? If you could get the system to POST that would help a lot. What size PSU do you think you'll be needing?
I tried Crucial, but didn't find any compatible memory options. https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/supermicro/x10sae

My office primarily uses laptops, or small form Lenovo Thinkcentre type desktops, so any decommissioned equipment I've obtained includes woefully under-powered proprietary PSUs with a 20pin main connector, and no 8pin CPU power connection. The X10SAE mobo has both a 24pin main connector & an 8pin CPU power connector & according to the Super Micro manual:
Warning: 1. To prevent damage to the power supply or motherboard, please use a
power supply that contains a 24-pin and a 8-pin power connectors. Be sure to connect
these connectors to the 24-pin (JPW1) and the 8-pin (JPW2) power connectors on the
motherboard. Failure in doing so will void the manufacturer warranty on your power
supply and motherboard.
My current "scavenged parts" FreeNas box PSU is likely 10+ years old and is barely capable of powering a stock mobo, 2x 4GB ram modules, usb boot, single case fan, 100mb mobo LAN, & 4 HDD. I'm ballsy, but not sure if I'm ballsy enough to try powering my new investments with a poor excuse for a PSU especially considering all of the newly purchased equipment overhead.

I believe that the "11 - 11 - B1" type numbers I mentioned above may somehow be related to CAS Latency & Row Column Delay, and if I'm correct all 4 modules have identical CAS Latency values of 11, but the Row Column Delay values of 11, 12, & 13 are the only difference.

However, even if I can determine that there's a variance in Row Column Delay I don't have the proper experience to understand if that will negatively impact my new build's performance when they are matched together as a team.

whitney

Cadet
Just wanted to provide an update. PSU secured, and sure enough my MoBo provided me the audible confirmation that the SK Hynix HMT41GU6MFR8C-PB memory module does not play ball with the HMT41GU6BFR8C-PB version.
I contacted the seller, StarMicro Inc., about the mix-up and they responded quickly with a return shipping label. Just a few days after the module arrived back at the seller, my replacement was on it's way. Plugged the replacement module into the MoBo, and the system booted just fine.
After a 10 day continuous run of MemTest86 on repeat all memory modules checked out.
Wanted to run mem tests before reporting back, and here we are. New FreeNAS build is now up and running, pool built, and now just working on getting the system config tuned up for my specific needs.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I had a similar experience with RAM in my current motherboard. In my case, a single-digit mismatch in the SKU (die-generation of the ram chips) was the difference between a motherboard that would recognize all 128MB of RAM vs. not.

Crazier still, the motherboard would recognize either set of RAM sticks but not a combination thereof. Returned the mismatch, replaced with model listed on the blessed hardware list and all is well to this day.

subhuman

Contributor
but little did I know that quality PSU's(seasonic, evga, corsair) are in unobtainium status
Yeah, if you can find them the prices are at least 2x what they were six months ago.
Start getting creative. Think of who carries this kind of stuff, but isn't usually a first thought of where to go to get one...
Staples is showing EVGA 500w power supplies in stock for $54 with free delivery or ship-to-store.