Supermicro X10SLL-F No Post or VGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dill

Contributor
I am building my second FreeNAS, this time I went by the hardware guide on this forum. I put in all of the moving parts, and when I boot I get no VGA and no post. I get 5 rapid beeps which means memory configuration error. I have looked and looked, and as far as I can tell I have the right stuff in this box. Can any of you wizards who might have dealt with this mobo give me any insight?

Motherboard: X10SLL-F
On the Tested Memory sheet, 1600Mhz ECC 8 GB it lists this as tested RAM:

MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16 Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB Hynix H5TQ4G83MFR 2 RoHS Low Profile

The RAM I purchased was from eBay 2x 8GB sticks and has a product number of HMT41GE7MFR8C-PB.

The processor I purchased is: Intel E3-1220v3 SR154 3.1GHz/8M/5GTs LGA1150 Xeon 80W CPU Processor

Any tips and insight would be helpful- I read some posts about having to flash new bios using IPMI, but that was only for brand new processors, which this is not. Thanks!

Fuganater

Patron
Have you tried any basic troubleshooting steps like changing the slots the RAM is in? Running only 1 DIMM?

Chris Dill

Contributor
I was being given tasks by my wife, so I had a limited time, but I did try a few basic steps:

Remove CMOS/power for a few minutes
Try RAM in blue slots, then in black slots, then 1 stick only, then no sticks
I did not mess with the processor

After I posted my post though, I looked at the memory numbers on the X10SLL Sheet and the one I ordered, and they are different by one letter (U instead of E). So my assumption is that even though they are close and match spec wise, they are not compatible. I did find the EXACT SKU on Memory America so I ordered the new sticks- will be a few days. If anyone has any information on the sticks I purchased actually working, please let me know!

Fuganater

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you tried inserting the single DIMM into all DIMM slots? If so, you'll have to narrow it down to the motherboard or CPU.

Chris Dill

Contributor
So, I ordered RAM with the EXACT matching number, still no dice. With no RAM in I get RAM error beep. With one stick in, I get no beeps, and with 2 sticks in I get beeps. I think it is the BIOS version on the motherboard, which is 1.1 (current version is 3), and it does not support my processor or more than 1 stick of RAM. I called SuperMicro and they were not helpful, like talking to tier 0.5. I have to call back tomorrow and purchase a bios update unlock key. I read a blog about someone getting around this by booting from an ISO- but the problem is in order to boot from the ISO you need to select it during post. I do not have VGA, so I cannot see post to do this.

Fuganater

Patron
IPMI doesn't work?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Chris Dill

Contributor
IPMI does work- I managed to update BIOS and firmware to latest version, and still no dice. In doing research I came across many posts about the same problem... and in one of them "headless" was mentioned. So I looked around, and there is a jumper on the montherboard to disable onboard video. Disabling onboard video also disables iKVM I think, because I had nothing with that until I fixed the jumper. So after I changed the jumper to spots 1/2 everything started working- the server was booting all along, just could not see it without VGA/iKVM.

I have another issue where no USB device I put in boots into FreeNAS (just blank black screen with cursor blinking) but I think that is another thread and a widespread problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.