SMC X11SSH-F Memory Advice

Neviden

Cadet
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on memory for an upcoming build. I've got everything else sorted but my mind is going in circles trying to figure out memory for this MB. It's the SuperMicro X11SSH-F: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X11SSH-F.

I ran the SuperMicro memory recommendation search for the MB on their website and it came back suggesting the following (Module part # being HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF):

MEM-DR480L-HL01-EU21HynixHMA41GU7AFR8N-TFHynixH5AN4G8NAFR

I've been scouring the internet trying to find suitable 8GB sticks that won't cost a kidney, found the following which seems to be a decent price but I'm uncertain whether they are compatible and I can't seem to find concrete information about whether the other part numbers matter. All of the sticks have the same module number (HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF) but slightly different numbers on other areas of the stickers - i.e. T0 AD, T0 AC or T0 AA. They are all ECC but what confuses me the most is some auctions say 'registered' and others say 'unregistered/unbuffed', which has me totally confused even though they're the same module #?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Desktop-Me...8Pin-DDR4-2133-MHz-ECC-DIMM-1-2V/383339579245 - T0 AD.

vs a more expensive type: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYNIX-HMA4...-17000-ECC-NON-REG-MEMORY-MODULE/164112130330 - T0 AC.

I am waiting for the MB to arrive but I even have a spare stick with me currently which is SK Hynix 8GB HMA81GU7MFR8N-TF T0 AA.

I hope someone that's been stuck in the same boat might be able to help. Thank you!

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
I bought Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 as per Crucial's recommendation.
I doubht you will run into any problems with cheaper memory sticks but try booting the MB with the memory you have.

I had some problems booting from the M.2 SSD but some internet searching helped me.
Drop me a note if you need help with that.
Can't check the BIOS settings right now, copying hours of files to that server.

Yorick

Wizard
You need UDIMM, DDR4, ECC, Unbuffered. Not Registered.

I am running Crucial, that's working fine; and anything UDIMM DDR4 ECC is expected to work. It's a memory standard, and unlike PC non-ECC sticks, there isn't a whole lot of crazy experimentation with timings going on in the ECC world.

And yes booting from M.2 works fine. Has to be PCIe/NVMe, not SATA M.2; and the BIOS needs to be set to AMI Native Firmware for the M.2 boot.

Jasse Jansson

Explorer
Yepp, that was one of them, AMI Native Firmware.
Another change is to only make UEFI disks bootable.
Third, Install FreeNAS on a UEFI partition.

I think this is the only 3 things that have to be altered in the BIOS, I tried a lot of other things but I doubht that mattered at all.

Neviden

Cadet
Thanks for your responses everyone. I received my new SMC motherboard over the weekend and tested the single 8GB stick that I have and it works perfectly. Fingers crossed that the memory ordered from eBay that was the same model is going to work fine too once I receive that!

Neviden

Cadet
Thanks for your responses everyone. I received my new SMC motherboard over the weekend and tested the single 8GB stick that I have and it works perfectly. Fingers crossed that the memory ordered from eBay that was the same model is going to work fine too once I receive that!

For anyone that comes across this thread in future, the RAM I ordered from eBay worked perfectly. After looking at the SK Hynix memory module for a while longer I finally understand the meaning of their part #. For example:

HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF

GU = U meaning Unbuffered. If this was GR, it would be Registered