Shrinking Volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
I have a problem that was just due to poor planning... I have FreeNAS 11.1-U5 and my Jails drive consists of 2 x WD 300GB hard drives, mirrored. One drive died and needs replacement... I'm cheap. I do have a 250GB drive and can't seem to figure out how to add the 250GB drive into the pool...

Now that I'm writing it out, I don't think it's possible to add a smaller drive to an old mirror... Any suggestions on what I should do? Maybe move everything to the 250 and replace the 300 for another 250???

EDIT: URGENT!!! my second Jails drive is messing up and needs to be moved. how would i accomplish a cloning operation from the old 300GB drive to the new 250GB?

Last edited:

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
Thanks...

How do I move all my Jails from one drive to another? I think I asked this question before and never got an answer that worked. Is there a specific command for moving Jails? Would clonezilla work if I plugged both drives into another computer?

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
Ok. So I guess cp is not up to snuff? I was reading about those commands, so essentially, if the old one is /mnt/Jails2 and the new one is /mnt/Jails then the command would be:
zfs send /mnt/Jails2@SNAPNAME | zfs recv /mnt/Jails

?Correct?

As a basic example, you could do this from the CLI: cd /mnt/Jails2
find . -print | cpio -pvmd /mnt/Jails

You can also add the "u" flag to the cpio command, but do so with care. That is an unconditional write. Your jails would all need to be shut down for this to be safe in any case.

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.