switching out a hard drive need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allred

Dabbler
I have my freenas setup using 4 different drives in one pool to get about 3.9 terbytes (2 1tb, 1 1.5tb, 300gb). Im starting to get full at 80% now and want to slowly start replacing each drive with 4tb or bigger drives. How do i move the data over to the new drive a pull the old one out with out messing up freenas? Can I just pull one of the drives out and clone it with one of the windows clone programs and have it see the drive and the new space when I put it back in?

Thanks

enemy85

Guru
I don't think you read the manual before setting up your freenas...did you?
For what i can read, it seems you striped all the 4 disks (to get the whole capacity) and in that case you can't change any hdd. IF ONE DISK FAIL, YOU WILL LOSE THE WHOLE POOL. If that is the case, i'll suggest you to Backup ur data and start from the beginning reading the manual first.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you have those four disks in a single striped pool, and you have room on your motherboard and in your case for at least one more disk (i.e., you can have five disks installed at the same time), you can replace each disk with a new one, which will expand the pool each time a larger disk is added. To do this, go to Storage -> select your volume -> Volume Status (it's the button on the bottom that looks like a sheet of notebook paper), select the disk you want to replace, click the Replace button at the bottom, select the new disk in the window that pops up, and click on Replace Disk. Once the resilver finishes (you can monitor it on the Volume Status page), remove the old disk, and repeat as necessary or desired. Of course, if you have room for five or more disks, you could just add the new disks to expand your pool capacity.

In either case, though, assuming you care about your data, this is a really bad idea, for the reason @enemy85 mentioned--when (not if) any disk fails, you will lose all your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.