Assistance Failing drives

jaredpmoser

Dabbler
So I currently have a striped set up with 4 old drives of different sizes. I would like to back all this up to a new single drive and replace these. How do I perform this?

Currently have 4 drives in total.
2 drives 1tb,
1 drive 500 gb (failing),
1 drive 250gb (failing).

I would like to replace all drives with a single 2-3tb and add additional 2-3tb in future for mirroring. Trying to keep this from happening in the future. Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How do I perform this?
Create a pool on the new disk, copy the data over, detach the old pool. For the "copy the data over" part, there are lots of options: ZFS replication, rsync, just use Midnight Commander at the command line, and no doubt others I'm not thinking of. Adding the second disk as a mirror, though, is going to take some work at the command line--you still can't do that through the GUI.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

jaredpmoser

Dabbler
For the "copy the data over" part, there are lots of options: ZFS replication, rsync, just use Midnight Commander at the command line, and no doubt others I'm not thinking of.

Ok confused by this statement but I am a Sr. Dev Ops Engineer and should be able to fumble my way through it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ok confused by this statement but I am a Sr. Dev Ops Engineer and should be able to fumble my way through it.
I was being deliberately vague, since there are so many ways to do it--any way of moving files around in *nix should work, and if you have a way you're comfortable with, go ahead and use that. If you aren't too comfortable at the *nix command line at all, just run mc--it'll give you a nice easy way to deal with copying your data to where you want it to go (mc is the Midnight Commander, heavily based on the old Norton Commander). My own preference would be to use ZFS replication, but if you haven't done it at the command line before, it might not be worth figuring out for a one-time application.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

jaredpmoser

Dabbler
So I am ordering a new drive finally. A single 6tb drive and I would like to copy all my files over to the new drive. Allow this new drive to take the place of all the older drives. Then when I buy a new drive down the road set it up as a mirror.

So no mirror for now would just like the replace all the striped drives with a single drive for now. Is there a tutorial anywhere? I have done some extensive searching and haven't found anything.

Also my Freenas OS lives on a usb drive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It isn't a standard, so there is no tutorials, but the process has been discussed many times.
Basically, create a new pool on the new, single disk. Copy everything to the new pool. Then export the old pool.
The only problem is when you get another drive and your ready to mirror it, you have to do it manually from the command line.

jaredpmoser

Dabbler
Do I start this by going to volume Manager and add the new drive? Would I have to stripe this drive as its single drive? This defaults to stripe.

BTW: I am on version 9.10.2-U6 .

Last edited:

jaredpmoser

Dabbler
Looks like its created. Now I need to figure out the best way to copy all the data over to the new drive / pool that it can boot on its own and I can remove the other disks. Command line might be easist for me as I am not a fan of the GUI.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool list                                                  
NAME           SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROO
T                                                                              
Master        3.62T   532K  3.62T         -     0%     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
firstvolume   2.49T  1.20T  1.29T         -    25%    48%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt
freenas-boot  14.9G  1.25G  13.6G         -      -     8%  1.00x  ONLINE  -     

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Are you able to SSH in to a terminal on your FreeNAS system? If so, you could take a manual snapshot with this command, substitute your actual pool name where I put <pool name>

zfs snapshot -r <pool name>@manual-<date>

zfs send -R <pool name>@manual-<date> | zfs receive -F <new pool>

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

jaredpmoser

Dabbler
Thank you everything looks to be running great but my plex media server is hosed. When I go to select it under Media Server Status ist has it.
JaredMediaServer (green lock) . Nearby but when I click on it nothing happens. I have scoured the internet. Tried port forwarding and others nothing working. I removed all pervious servers and started back from scratch reattached storage new jails so on. Not sure what to do from here. Tried everything I can think of.

jaredpmoser

Dabbler
Update so I realized under each section it looks to be cached and had 2 media servers and had to checkmark on my tv ui the new server even though I have deleted the previous versions out of the server not sure why they are still cached and where.