Sharing Photos and Videos with Grandparents across country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay.ca

Dabbler
I have a ton of videos and pictures of my kids. My parents can't get enough of them. What is the easiest way to let them have access to a file share or something that they can log into and see all the new stuff uploaded when we back up our photos and videos?

I am not exactly sure the terminology to accomplish this.

Right now I have a file share and plex media server up (free version, not paid).

Any updates, tips, pointing in the right direction would be amazing.

Trying to keep this safe and secure so my stuff doesn't get hacked or have issues.

Sakuru

Guru
Probably OwnCloud or NextCloud. There are tutorials in this forum for setting up OwnCloud in a jail.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Probably OwnCloud or NextCloud.
I second this. Probably your best bet.

Zofoor

Patron
I agree, but another way that is easier to set up could be an ftp access. It's just a few clicks and a nat rule on the router.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would just get them a plex account and let them watch the video's and photo's using that.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I have my family's video's in plex and it works fine (some hacks though required because plex has very minimal support for home videos). As far as pictures though, the built in features for organizing and categorizing are even less. Plex would be my last choice for pictures. however since he already said he had it setup, it would probably be the fastest way.

we are all guessing though because we don't exactly know the competency of your parents when it comes to computers. if you have confidence they could sign into services like dropbox (similar to owncloud) then that might be the best.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Status
Not open for further replies.