Sharing files/folder with family

oxidizer

Cadet
Hello everyone, I am relatively new to FreeNAS. Using some of the tutorials available here, I was able to get my machine up and running and connected to Windows. I'm somewhat tech savvy, but I feel like I may be in over my head with FreeNAS. I chose this over a prebuilt unit, such as Synology, because I liked the idea of being able to use my own hardware, but now I see that this might be beyond my skill level.

I use my NAS to backup my home videos of my kids and some pictures as well. What I am trying to do is find a solution to be able to share these videos with family that don't live nearby. These recordings can be huge (>4GB), so uploading them individually to Youtube or whatever isn't ideal. I see there are cloud plugins that I can install, but I am not sure if they provide the functionality that I'm looking for. I also know I need to use a VPN to prevent exposing my NAS to the open Internet. I tried following a tutorial on here for OpenVPN, but I don't think I got it working correctly or was using it in the correct way.

Could someone point me in the correct direction?

garm

Wizard
You want Nextcloud for that