How To Re-Start From Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmckellar

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

I have used the search function and also searched on Google but only come up with threads where people recommend more reading or deleting a volume. I installed Freenas 9.1 from a USB drive and went through the wizard. I am trying to set this NAS up for Plex and mass-data/media storage (videos, pictures, BlueIris camera recordings). I was following a tutorial where I don't believe I set it up correct and have a bunch of different guests and also CIFS doesnt work so I can't see the NAS on my windows network. I am probably going to add 2 more WD Red drives (only have 3 at the moment and an SSD boot drive)

What I am looking to do is just start over from scratch. How can I achieve this in the easiest manner?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Welcome to the forums!

You need to post full hardware and software information as per forum rules. We have to know what configurations and hardware you have in order to offer more relevant advice.

FreeNAS can be a little bit of a steep learning curve, but you really should put in as much time as you can understanding (at the very least, on a basic level) how the OS works and handles/interacts with hardware (drives, boot drives, networking cards, etc.). There are various other NAS OSes out there are simpler and easier to manage than FreeNAS. This is why I think you found in your search people saying "do more research" because there is a higher level of expectation for anyone looking to play with FreeNAS.

To start to answer your questions....I would do more research. I'll help you a bit, here are essential things you should read and understand to the best of your ability. If after reading through them, taking notes if you must, you still have questions then come back and post them so we can help you.
FreeNAS Manual
Noob Slideshow Explaining about Very Basic but Very Important Information Regarding FreeNAS
ZFS Primer
PSU Sizing Guide
Settings up Shares

Here is item by item responding with some added suggestions we need you to post in order to help you.
I installed Freenas 9.1 from a USB drive
Do you mean 9.10? Login to your GUI, Go to System -> Information -> Build then post your exact build of the OS you're using.

I am trying to set this NAS up for Plex and mass-data/media storage (videos, pictures, BlueIris camera recordings). I was following a tutorial where I don't believe I set it up correct and have a bunch of different guests and also CIFS doesnt work so I can't see the NAS on my windows network.
This is like 10 problems rolled into a couple of sentences. I recommend you start separate threads addressing those specific issues. You are less likely to get help because you are asking way too much at one time. Break it down and tackle one thing at a time in separate threads.

However, I will point you to this very straightforward and excellent thread for setting up plex. I have rebuilt my plex jail multiple times and it has worked without fail every time. Bookmark it and come back to it once you have your other drives added:
Setting up Plex Within a Jail

I am probably going to add 2 more WD Red drives (only have 3 at the moment and an SSD boot drive)
What I am looking to do is just start over from scratch. How can I achieve this in the easiest manner?

Ahh, now we are getting to the real and specific ask of this thread. People might chime in with different options about how to proceed but here is how I would go about it.
1) Backup your data - If you have any data on the drives right now, make sure you have it backed up to another location.
2) Reinstall FreeNAS on your SSD - I think it would be waaaaayy easier to just start fresh then try and troubleshoot or fix what yo have already attempted to setup.
3) Plan your new drive layout - Think about what type of pool layout you want (raidz1 [not recommended], raidz2, raidz3, 2-way mirror, 3-way mirror, number of vdevs, etc.). I'm not going to explain any of this, read the noob slideshow referenced above.
4) Setup pool with desired pool layout - this will erase all data on the drives you preiovusly had in the system, so before doing this, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR DATA BACKED UP!!!

This seems like a lot, but just take it step by step. I can tell you from personal experience and from reading others' stores on here, people that rush setting up with boxes always pay a price later, and we (the FreeNAS community) really don't want that to happen to you!

Good luck!

scwst

Explorer
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the exact problem as well, but "starting over" is something I just did myself. The first step was to save my data - I backed it up on external hard drives - twice. And it was good that I did it twice, because the first time, I managed to forget three rather important files (oops). Hanging out around here makes you paranoid, but that is a Good Thing (TM) when it comes to your data. So I would suggest starting with that step.

rmckellar

Cadet
Thanks for the replies, I wasn't exactly looking for help on troubleshooting, just how to start over. I got it now, I'll reinstall with the flash drive.

To answer the questions, though. I am running Freenas 9.10 on a small build. Is got a i5 -4590s 3Ghz with 16gb ram in a Fractal Design Node 304 with a 128gb SSD boot drive and 3x 2TB HDDs, I was only given one RAID option at the wizard, I will edit with which RAID I'm using later.

I'm going to read through the links posted and reinstall, I just didn't understand until now that I could reinstall anew with the flash drive.

Thank you!

Stux

MVP
The wizard is poor. It often works better to use the advanced/manual override and just specify what you want.

Ps: 6 drive raidz2.

rmckellar

Cadet
Okay, I restored to system defaults and I will work my way through it in a non-rushed manner while following tutorials.

2 questions: 1) I am on Freenas 9.10.1-U2; should I just upgrade to Freenas 10 beta? and 2) If I am going to be adding 2x more HDDs (3TB WD Reds) in the future, should I just get those before I set everything up, or is it possible to backup, install the two additional drives, and extend the volume? Will I have to create a new volume for the 2 extra HDDs? I am trying to add more HDDs to utilize a better RAID setup and to futureproof.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Okay, I restored to system defaults and I will work my way through it in a non-rushed manner while following tutorials.

2 questions: 1) I am on Freenas 9.10.1-U2; should I just upgrade to Freenas 10 beta? and 2) If I am going to be adding 2x more HDDs (3TB WD Reds) in the future, should I just get those before I set everything up, or is it possible to backup, install the two additional drives, and extend the volume? Will I have to create a new volume for the 2 extra HDDs? I am trying to add more HDDs to utilize a better RAID setup and to futureproof.
1) no. See the word BETA?

2) did you not read the links provided that explains how zfs works?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Short answers to your questions:
1) not recommended as that is exactly what it says, beta software.
2) I would wait if I were you. If you have gone through that noob slideshow that I linked, you should have learned that once you create a vdev, you can not add more drives to it unless you destroy it and rebuild (with exception of mirrors). It is also not recommended to have multiple pools as this makes management more difficult, unless you have a specific reason to make more than one pool.

If you do decide to wait, I would go ahead and get the drives you have now up and running and use the opportunity to play around with the software. Throw some non-critical data on it and practice creating shares, setting up proper permissions, playing around with plugins, etc. Then when your additional drives arrive, destroy the vdev you've been playing with and create a larger vdev including the newly arrived drives.

rmckellar

Cadet
It's a lot of info to read through in one day. Jesus you people really like to jump down someone's throat. Pirateghost, dont respond if it bothers you that I'm asking questions before I've understood EVERY SINGLE WORD in all those links. The slideshow alone is over 50 slides.

nojohnny, thanks. That's what I was looking to do, read through everything and mess around with non-critical data to get the hang of everything then destroy and start from scratch again when I buy the 2 additional drives. Appreciate someone not verbally assaulting me for asking questions.

Stux

MVP
Short answers to your questions:
1) not recommended as that is exactly what it says, beta software.
2) I would wait if I were you. If you have gone through that noob slideshow that I linked, you should have learned that once you create a vdev, you can not add more drives to it unless you destroy it and rebuild (with exception of mirrors). It is also not recommended to have multiple pools as this makes management more difficult, unless you have a specific reason to make more than one pool.

If you do decide to wait, I would go ahead and get the drives you have now up and running and use the opportunity to play around with the software. Throw some non-critical data on it and practice creating shares, setting up proper permissions, playing around with plugins, etc. Then when your additional drives arrive, destroy the vdev you've been playing with and create a larger vdev including the newly arrived drives.

And one of the most useful things is to practice dealing with failing hds. Ie, unplug one ;)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It's a lot of info to read through in one day. Jesus you people really like to jump down someone's throat. Pirateghost, dont respond if it bothers you that I'm asking questions before I've understood EVERY SINGLE WORD in all those links. The slideshow alone is over 50 slides.

nojohnny, thanks. That's what I was looking to do, read through everything and mess around with non-critical data to get the hang of everything then destroy and start from scratch again when I buy the 2 additional drives. Appreciate someone not verbally assaulting me for asking questions.

There was nothing rude in my comment and I certainly wasn't "verbally assaulting" you.

I didn't see anyone "jump down your throat".

You can take that attitude out of here right now.

nojohnny101

Wizard
@rmckellar
With all due respect, @pirateghost didnt jump down your throat. I did post all of those links not just for the fun of it but because they are very important to read in order to understand FreeNAS.

no one expects you to get through all of that in one day, take your time. The slideshow is the most important IMHO so start there before proceeding. The manual is quite a lot but I found it most useful to go through it step by step (not all at once) as I was setting up my FreeNAS box.

I'll finish by saying people are generally friendly on here and everyone has been in this thread in my opinion. FreeNAS is not the easiest piece of software but people on here expect prior research to be done before asking questions. If you do read something but then don't understand, ask! That is perfectly acceptable. It's a lot at first but take it slow. As I have said in previous posts, people who rush into FreeNAS without doing at least some reading and planning almost always regret it when they lose their data because of poor planning or lack of basic knowledge about the OS and at that point it is much harder to help when you've dug a hole too deep to climb out of.

Breathe deep, go through the slideshow, setup your box, go through the manual as needed, and carry on!

rmckellar

Cadet
This is exactly why I have had a useless freenas box for months now, I knew this is exactly the type of response I would get from asking several questions.

I read plenty before I tried setting up my machine. I am now reading through everything that was posted , as I have been since they were posted, but I can't help it if I don't grasp everything at once.

I have a much different opinion of "generally friendly" than you guys do. I appreciate the links, but I'm not a nuclear engineer like the guy who created the slide show.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Nor am I, I'm actually quite a noob compared to most on here. You'll learn if you want to. In the meantime, try to stay positive and grateful for help, that is all that anyone on here offers.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.