Need help unblocking my NAS remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmysl

Cadet
UNBRICKING**
So i think i completely hosed my FREENAS box. I am currently working across the country and am attempting to fix the problem from 3000 miles away.

1st - my box was acting funny, so i decided to completely restore from defaults and update to 9.1 (remotely)

2nd - i was able to accomplish the update, auto import all my drive and get the box up and running

3rd - i went to re-setup my transmission jail, but the Jail failed to start, rebooted the unit, and here's where my problems started

I am able to ssh in, i see this

Last login: Mon Aug 19 20:24:27 2013 from 10.0.1.41
FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE (FREENAS.amd64) #0 r+1a51513: Wed Jul 31 21:54:30 PDT 2013

Welcome to TrueOS!

For information on the web, visit us at www.pcbsd.org
Could not chdir to home directory /nonexistent: No such file or directory

how can i wipe and reset my NAS from SSH, pardon me if this is a duplicate article, i couldn't find my answer online!

thanks in advance

tmysl

Cadet
also when i scanned my network, i have 2 ip's coming from the NAS 10.0.1.7 and 10.0.1.8 , a port scan revealed ssh is the only available service (only open port) i can log into both, and the prompts i get at log in are the same

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I'm not sure what kind of help you are hoping to get. SSH requires that FreeNAS work, but you said its a brick. If you read up on what "bricking" means, it means that the devices doesn't work at ALL. Doesn't POST, doesn't boot an OS, nothing. If its doing that local administering is the ONLY option.

Additionally, you've really not said anything about what is wrong. Just that you can SSH in.... So please add some info onwhat you are trying to accomplish. But I will warn you, generally having the server be 3000 miles away puts a lot of limits on what you can do.

tmysl

Cadet
sorry for my lack of detail, and the wrong phrasing,.

I cannot access anything. no afp, no web access, just ssh, bonjour services are not working, i can ssh via those two ips but thats it. I want to be able to start from a clean slate via ssh, wipe the config files and reboot the unit to hopefully get the services started again

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So you don't have GUI access? If you don't you're going to have a long uphill battle. Alot of stuff (like account and password setup) requires the GUI. Otherwise on reboot the changes will be lost...

tmysl

Cadet
At the moment, no. Let me give you a better idea of what i can do, and what i plan on doing. I have remote access(vnc) to a mac on the same network as the nas, so remotely(albeit indirectly), i have complete access to all local ip's on the network. a port scan on the freenas revealed that port 22 is the only accessible port on the server, even after a reboot. What i plan on doing is reseting the freenas to defaults via ssh(erasing all passwords, setup, etc) and via the mac i have remote access to, set everything up from scratch via gui that is hopefully accessible after the reset.

tmysl

Cadet
so my question is: How do i nuke my current configuration via ssh, so i can start fresh?..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure but if your situation is like most other people that have problems getting to the GUI the solution is usually to reinstall FreeNAS(which you can't do remotely without the GUI) and/or get a new USB stick and install to that. Sometimes USB sticks that aren't namebrand kind of suck.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd have built a system with IPMI if I planned to do remote admininstration. :/

tmysl

Cadet
It was an impromptu 3 month business trip I had to take, its not something i was able to plan for too well, it was all good until a power outage knocked my server down, then i started messing with it by uprading it (after a friend kindly powered it on )

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you go to SSH and you do "sh /etc/netcli.sh" that will bring up the menu. I'm not sure if this will work or not, or if there will be consequences because you aren't running it from the CLI, so its your choice.

You'll want to choose option 8 on the menu.

Good luck

tmysl

Cadet
that command is nowhere to be found, when i ssh'd in and poked around i didnt see my mount points, and i would get a broken pipe (lost connection) error quite frequently. I have a feeling the image is hosed, ohh well, no plex media for a month. Thanks for your help.

I need to look into a layer of redundancy (for the os) just in case i run into this again. IPMI is a great idea but the execution and Availability of it on consumer boards is a bit lackluster. I was considering a bare metal hypervisor as another layer of access if the software ever gets hosed again. I'm aware of the pitfalls but am willing to give it a shot to see how it plays out. My other option is cobbling together a pseudo ipmi with a raspberry pi, but that might be too much effort and trouble.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.