total n00b here. i wan to to get an email alert specifically if a drive fails SMART tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nclark

Cadet
i'm really sorry if this is a common question. i did some reading in the forum, but it's hard to figure out with so much stuff about 8.x and what not. i just installed FreeNAS about a week ago. i'm not even sure what version i'm running, but if it corresponds to FreeBSD versions, 9.1 i suppose?

Code:
FreeBSD freenas.local 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #0 r+1a51513: Wed Jul 31 21:54:30 PDT 2013    root@build.ixsystems.com:/home/alfred/fn/9.1-RELEASE/os-base/amd64/tank/home/alfred/fn/9.1-RELEASE/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64  amd64

anyway, i am getting the daily emails, but it's a lot of noise. i have a raid-z1 with 4x3tb seagate NAS drives (ST3000VN000). i have one replacement drive in the cupboard standing by, i really just want an alert when i need to replace a degraded drive.

i'm definitely willing to RTFM so if there's a document that points me in the right direction, please refer me to it.

i love FreeNAS so far, the PBIs are great, and i love that my non-PBI software is running in an easy-to-backup jail. this is one of the best projects i've ever used, and i'd like to thank everyone involved in making it possible.

-n

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So how about you setup the emails function in FreeNAS, then setup the email address to email to in the SMART settings. It's very easy and everything can be setup in the GUI. The manual or wiki will help you fill this stuff in if you want this feature(hint: you do!)

nclark

Cadet
doh, i missed it in the manual. the SMART email is configured under the 'services' tab. thanks cyberjock!

Status
Not open for further replies.