9.1 RC1 install shows 8.3.1 in GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be hard to explain.

I replaced the faulty boot drives (Crucial V4 with a Firmware issue, long story...) in all of my four storage servers (SuperMicro 6047R-E1R36N) and figured: what the heck let's try out FreeNAS 9.1 RC1. Only one of the storage servers has production data on it, so I started with the other three. Upgraded hardware and installed 9.1 RC1 on the first two, no problem. Everything is running great. The third server gets the hardware swap and install and when I set the Network Interfaces on console and go to the GUI, I see

Build FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)

Very odd, as i used the same .iso as the first two installs, and when i check 'uname -a' i see: Fr

[root@freenas ~]# uname -a
FreeBSD freenas.local 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #0 r+7f710c8: Fri Jul 12 15: 24:36 PDT 2013root@build.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/alfred/fn/9.1/os-base/amd 64/tank/home/alfred/fn/9.1/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64 amd64

Thougts?? I am mystified. I removed the old boot drive completely from the server, have attempted many reinstalls, etc. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• freenas.jpg
    freenas.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 300
i think its just a bug

Could you elaborate? What kind of "Bug" would reside in an install image that would lay an old revision GUI on a new kernel in only 1 of 3 identical servers? If, perhaps, you meant to say you don't know what the issue is, then ok... but seeing as this is the Bug Reporting section of the Forums, throwing out "its just a bug" isn't very a productive comment.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Normally I'd say "its a bug" but something else is wrong. Your icons aren't the 9.1 icons that have been there for weeks and weeks. I almost want to think that you have an 8.3.1 screen open but have the wrong shell from another server overlayed on accident.

The first 9.1 I played with had the new icons, so either your version of 9.1 is very very old and shouldn't be used or you are confusing one window with another and the screenshot is somewhat deceiving.

I assure you I am not confusing multiple servers. (Uploaded another screen shot to confirm hostnames are identical)
I have the latest 9.1 RC1 .iso, and even downloaded a fresh image two days ago to ensure I had the latest.
As for buttons, it appears that I have the 8.3.1 GUI laid on top of a 9.1 Kernel. Many functions of the GUI result in errors which is likely due to changes in 9.1.

Attachments

• freenas.jpg
    freenas.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 284

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm wondering if you tried to do a GUI upgrade from 8.3.1 to 9.1. GUI upgrade isn't supported because the partition size changed from 1GB to 1.8ish GB with 9.1. Your system could be the result of a failed upgrade due to running out of disk space.

I know you said you used the same ISO, but something is terribly wrong. Somewhere something is confused, and its NOT an ISO issue.

Here's what 9.1 looks like to me... notice the different icons and layout. The stuff in red doesn't exist in 8.3.1, and you don't have it...

Untitled.png
Untitled2.png

Edit: I just downloaded the ISO and installed it in a VM to take those pictures...

You shouldn't be dealing with any GUI errors. 9.1-RC1 has been pretty flawless so far based on my experimenting with it....

Try wiping the USB stick and installing again. This will make sure the ISO doesn't try to "upgrade" anything.

Can you post the output of gpart show?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Another possibility is that someone installed the 9.1-RC1 and then tried to upgrade to 8.3.1? I'm really grasping at straws because I can't even understand how to deliberately do what you are seeing.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh.. I got an idea. Internet cache.. flush your internet cache and try again :P

As I stated before, my install procedure worked just fine for the first two of my storage servers, and they are up and running on 9.1 RC1, So I know how the install process works. The boot drive is brand new, and no, I'm not trying to upgrade.
I agree, there is no logical way to get a server to this point... which is why I am posting on the forums to see if anyone has a brilliant idea how to fix.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd just wipe the USB stick and reload.

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
May be try and open the GUI from another machine? Whats the exact procedure that you followed while
upgrading? As cyberjock said, delete browser cache
Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using Tapatalk 2

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know what to say. I'm convinced something is wrong with your setup(not your hardware but something between your server and workstation). Most likely I'm thinking the browser is screwing you. Can you try Firefox? Many users have had problems with IE and Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.