8.3.1 Build information discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
I've just updated from 8.3.0-p1 to 8.3.1-RELEASE (I haven't seen an announcement, but I found the files), yet although the log file shows 8.3.1-RELEASE, the GUI displays 8.3.0-RELEASE.

Code:
Mar 18 14:11:00 freenas kernel: FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p6 #0 r248141M: Sun Mar 10 16:35:05 PDT 2013
Mar 18 14:11:00 freenas kernel: root@build.ixsystems.com:/home/jpaetzel/8.3.1-RELEASE/os-base/amd64/tank/home/jpaetzel/8.3.1-RELEASE/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64 amd64

Code:
System Information

Hostname 	***************

Build 	FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M) 

I've rebooted a couple of times, but the discrepancy persists.

Am I missing something, or is there really a bug?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, I wouldn't use the 8.3.1-RELEASE until its officially announced. If they make a few fixes and make another 8.3.1-RELEASE you might think you have the same RELEASE as everyone else... but you won't.

Second, if you look, the first paste you providede says "FreeBSD" and the second is "FreeNAS". Those are NOT the same. FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, and those version numbers when comparing each other is meaningless.

Z300M

Guru
First, I wouldn't use the 8.3.1-RELEASE until its officially announced. If they make a few fixes and make another 8.3.1-RELEASE you might think you have the same RELEASE as everyone else... but you won't.

Second, if you look, the first paste you providede says "FreeBSD" and the second is "FreeNAS". Those are NOT the same. FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, and those version numbers when comparing each other is meaningless.

8.3.1-RELEASE has now been announced, and the file dates and the *sha256.txt value are the same as those of the ones i downloaded and installed, so I assume that the .txz file did not change. So where did the *8.3.0-RELEASE report in the GUI come from?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't understand your question. I'm not sure where you got the first quote you made in the first post, but if you did the same thing on FreeNAS 8.3.0 you'd still see FreeBSD 8.3, but the date will probably be different as there has likely been a patch made since FreeNAS 8.3.0 was released.

Z300M

Guru
The first quote in the first post came from the boot log. But forget that now: from the GUI I have re-updated to FreeNAS 8.3.1 using the FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.txz file (a new copy downloaded yesterday, even though it appears identical to the one I had downloaded before the official announcement of its availability).

But the GUI "System Information" tab still shows:

Code:
Build 	FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M)

Is 8.3.1-RELEASE not reporting its version correctly, or did the update not "take", or...?

Is there any way of checking the FreeNAS version (not the FreeBSD version) from the console?

Should I burn a new 8.3.1-RELEASE image to a USB stick or CF card and then upload the saved config?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok. Now I understand what you are getting at. I was confused. Re-read the whole thread and now I understand.

The update didn't take. Not sure what you were trying to do, but when you do the update the server should reboot after you upload the file, then you should be on the new version. Always backup your config file before trying to do an upgrade.

If worse comes to worse you can always burn the ISO to a CD and upgrade from the CD. Some people have had problems doing GUI upgrades becuase they saved stuff to the USB stick and there wasn't enough free space.

I wouldn't be too concerned if the CD upgrade works. Of course, if the CD upgrade doesn't work, then you obviously have something to sort out.

Z300M

Guru
I've burned the .iso file to two different CDs, and both stop at

"can't load 'kernel'"

I see other people reporting the same problem from time to time but with no resolution.

I guess it's time to burn an image to a USB stick or CF card, then import and reload config.

Z300M

Guru
Is there a /data/upgrade.failed file? Or similar name?

Too late now: I burned a new 8.3.1 image to a CF card, imported the pool and uploaded the old config. All is now well, with the GUI displaying the build as .3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452).

Status
Not open for further replies.