Three minute delay on issuing mount -ur /

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alec Edworthy

Dabbler
Hello,

I've noticed that there is a long delay (over 3 minutes) when issuing the mount -ur command,

Code:
[root@ccae-freenas /usr/local/share/warden/scripts/backend]# time mount -ur /dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a

real    3m22.134s
user    0m0.015s
sys    0m0.098s
[root@ccae-freenas /usr/local/share/warden/scripts/backend]#

mount -uw returns instantly. I've experienced this twice today (not issued the command before today so cannot comment beyond that). When adding a tuneable just now I experienced a long delay (I didn't time it, but it was in excess of 30 seconds after which I walked away to tackle something else) in the dialog clearing and the web interface becoming available again and I wonder if it was due to the same issue perhaps?

Code:
[alec@ccae-freenas ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD ccae-freenas.lboro.ac.uk 9.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 #0 r262572+38751c8: Thu Mar 20 21:13:02 PDT 2014    root@build.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/jkh/9.2.1-BRANCH/freenas/os-base/amd64/tank/home/jkh/9.2.1-BRANCH/freenas/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64  amd64
[alec@ccae-freenas ~]$ 

Alec

cyberjock

Inactive Account
yep.. completely normal... when you go to mount -uw there's a boatload of crap that immediately starts queueing up for the UBS stick.. when you try to go to mount -ur all that junk, plus your few small writes, go to the USB stick.

If you are going into writable mode on your USB stick regularly.. you're doing something wrong. It's not something you should be doing at all, let alone once in a blue moon.

Alec Edworthy

Dabbler
Thank you for the confirmation. First time today was to move /root to my main data store so that writes to that folder were possible
Code:
mv /root /mnt/blah/home/
ln -s /mnt/blah/home/root /root

Second time was as part of a FreeNAS bug investigation (could and probably should have copied the relevant code to a writeable partition and edited it there I suppose).

Glad to know it's nothing serious :)

Thank you, Alec

Status
Not open for further replies.