SFF inexpensive build recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

technopop

Dabbler
I've worked mainly with SuperMicro hardware up to this point. Motherboards in 3rd party cases, 2u, 4u storage servers. I've got a charity/NFP looking for a FreeNAS to build a 2 maybe up to 4 drive setup and am wondering about hardware recommendations.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've worked mainly with SuperMicro hardware up to this point. Motherboards in 3rd party cases, 2u, 4u storage servers. I've got a charity/NFP looking for a FreeNAS to build a 2 maybe up to 4 drive setup and am wondering about hardware recommendations.
Are you looking to build all new or is it possible to recycle an older chassis with new drives?

If you have the flexibility to use something a little older, this looks like a great bargain:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372048378198

Same system board I am using so I know it is fully capable. How much storage are they looking to get?

If you just gotta have something new, you can't beat this bargain and many people on the forum have used it successfully.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...987ef0&elqaid=3387&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=2864

technopop

Dabbler
New isn't a requirement. I'm looking more for something that's Qnap or Synology sized that can sit in an office quietly.

technopop

Dabbler
I'm wondering about non server grade (Non ECC) build with a SFF desktop. Just how much of a risk is it to not go with ECC RAM? Mirrored 4-6 TB drives.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
New isn't a requirement. I'm looking more for something that's Qnap or Synology sized that can sit in an office quietly.
Not sure about Synology, but QNAP I know makes systems that go right up to 24 bay rackmount, I have some in my datacenter at work, so you would need to be more specific about the size you are looking for.
As for a quiet system, the HP that I pointed out on Tiger Direct is quiet and power efficient. You would just need to upgrade the RAM and add drives and you would be well served by it.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm wondering about non server grade (Non ECC) build with a SFF desktop. Just how much of a risk is it to not go with ECC RAM? Mirrored 4-6 TB drives.
You should not even think about building a ZFS server for a business that doesn't use ECC memory. Also, a small form factor (SFF) system is not likely to have adequate cooling to not cook the hard drives. Best to go with a mini-tower like the small HP system I pointed you at, but do what you like, it is your reputation on the line.

technopop

Dabbler
A FreeNAS mini box would be idea but I suppose one can't build something like that with ECC?

gpsguy

Sure you can. The FreeNAS mini uses ECC RAM and an off the shelf Asrock mobo.

A FreeNAS mini box would be idea but I suppose one can't build something like that with ECC?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you want to build something like the FreeNAS mini, you can't beat the price they sell them for unless you cut corners that should not be cut, so you might as well buy it from iXsystems. You can save a little money if you buy it diskless and supply your own disks.

Redcoat

MVP
As a FreeNAS mini owner I support @Chris Moore's comments above.

My experiences providing IT support to charities/NFP's has been that their well-meaning staffers/volunteers often have difficulties with the structured behavior to manage/preserve an office system. I encourage you to include backup in your planning.

technopop

Dabbler
Yup.... I have somehow managed to work for 5 of them so far over the last decade. Selling them on infrastructure and convincing them that I'm there to help and manage and worth the money is the biggest obstacle but they seem happy when things work.

I just wanted to explore the options before selling them on a FreeNAS mini.

Redcoat

MVP
OK, so presumably you'll be helping managing the system going forward, possibly remotely? The Mini has a somewhat limited ASRock IPMI implementation that the HP solution mentioned earlier does not have, so that will be an advantage to you (search the forum for the Java workaround needed to use the remote console function with the current bios).

iXsystems hardware warranty support is excellent and should be considered a plus point when talking to your client.

Inxsible

Guru
I would second the need for IPMI, especially when you want remote management. Building your own might be an option, but it also depends on how much support you will require. If you do require support, then the Mini seems to fit the bill.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Building your own might be an option
You absolutely can build a system that is almost identical or functionally identical with similar parts and I priced all the parts to do it almost a year ago. The problem is not in the doing, it is in the cost. The folks at iXsystems must be getting volume / OEM discounts because buying the parts at retail was about $600 more for the configuration I put together at the time. The numbers may have changed, but it probably still makes sense to get the one they build vs building it yourself unless you need hardware with more performance than what they use.
The other thing that might change the math on it is if you can pick some good used parts from eBay, but that brings up additional support concerns.
It is all down to the balance between what you want and what the client will pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.