Compatibility question?

elstryfe

Cadet
Thanks to this forum I've found some Supermicro 4u 24bay chassis that have the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 with single sas expander. The board I'm looking at is the Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I (New AMD Epyc board)now I know I'll have to get a sff 8087 to sff 8643 connector to connect to the board itself. Just curious if anyone knows if this will work? I know it won't be a full 12Gb to the board and that's fine. Just don't want to spend the money on this and it not work and not see the drives. Sorry I've been so out of touch with hardware for the past few years it's passed me. :-/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sure, no problem at all to connect a 6Gb SAS expander to a 12Gb SAS controller.

elstryfe

Cadet
If this is the wrong thread for it I'll post a new one. But I'm having some doubts about how this entire setup will work. I'm getting the new server and 5 8TB drives.. Now currently I have around ~30TB free and I want to just have one pool for data instead of two. The other drivers I have are 4 8TB white labels and 10 3TB drives. I have 4 512GB NVMe drives to add into this mix as well. Is there a best way to do this considering I don't have a way of dumping the data on the NAS currently to set this all up at once.

G8One2

Patron
This is an old guide, so there is newer info available, but this covers things in much more detail. Puts things in perspectve, easy to understand and really, not much has changed. Cyberjock did a fantastic job with this.

Attachments

• FreeNAS Guide 9.10.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 243

elstryfe

Cadet
Just to update people that may be looking. The Epyc 7302 works fine with FreeNAS. The problem is VM support is lacking. I had to change the NIC type to even get Windows Server 2019 to install. The VirtIO network adapter DOES show up but there is no drivers so you have to take extra steps to get it to work. For the most part that's too much of a headache to get VMs installed on FreeNAS. At this point I have no choice really but to wait till ESXi 6.7u4 releases to add better support for Epyc processors.