Setup userid for Transmission, Sick, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcevan

Patron
If there's a post about the correct userid setups for Transmission and Sickbeard (and others) please post link as I keep getting the dreaded 13 error in Sickbeard when trying to move files placed by Transmission.

I never created any users explicitly for these plugins but the dataset for downloads has nobody/nogroup, and transmission writes to it thru it's jail mount of it but makes files that are not moveable by Sick.

My workaround is to reapply the nobody/nogroup setting to the download dataset but to check the box so it applies to all files within. Then Sick can do it...until the next time.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you could either change the user transmission runs as or change the permission level transmission sets files as. both are covered on my setup steps on my blog. Google 'jruehlig freenas' if you want to look for it.

marcevan

Patron
Not sure how much of that blog is still for 9.2.1.3 version but I've got a Media dataset in my zpool with the usual TV, Movies, Music, Photos and Documents underneath. I made a Downloads dataset with downloads and torrent dirs under and those are nobody/nogroup owned.

Transmission, Sick are separate jails. They each locally mount downloads (trans puts, Sick pulls).

Transmission has the umask set to 0 and I thought that is what set the permissions.

If not, I still don't see the explicit user Transmission or or Sickbeard in your blog, but a commentor said:

Append to /etc/rc.conf.local (which by default doesn’t exist)
nginx_enable=”YES”
transmission_user=”media”

Now could I make tranmission_user="nobody" ?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
it's all still relevant.

you could try, make sure to match ownership on the etc/transmission directory before starting transmission.

I suggest your downloads and final media location reside on the same dataset for transmission. otherwise you are doing a move across filesystem borders after downloading (read+write+delete) instead of a simple metadata change.

Status
Not open for further replies.