Setup cron job to backup files using FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet
I am planning to build a FreeNAS machine soon, and I want to do a backup on the files/folders I am planning to put in the FreeNAS box.
I have thought about setting up a second machine, with a Linux distro, then using FTP and cron jobs, once a day, to back the files up to the second machine.
I have some questions. To copy files from the FreeNAS machine to the backup FTP server, would the syntax be "cp /files/to/be/copied/* ftp://192.168.X.***/path/to/place/files/"? And if I don't have any new files or folders to backup, will the scheduled task still copy the files and place a "(1)" in the name, will it overwrite older files or not copy anything at all?

Thanks in advance for answers!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Moving this topic to Off-Topic since it's not directly FreeNAS support.

I'll try to answer this, but I could be wrong... I believe you run the command 'ftp' from the command line and then log into your FTP server and copy files inside the ftp application. If you mount a CIFS share you can do a 'cp filesource filedestionation' as you are thinking. You just need to read up on mounting CIFS. There's probably lots of examples for mounting CIFS in the forum. I listed my command in a thread I titled something like "migrating Windows Server 2008 R2 to FreeNAS". Should have 20+ posts and was created in December 2012.

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, I am really unsure if I am going to build a FreeNAS box or purchase a ready-to-use solution, from f. ex. Qnap.

The thing is, I am not going to use a RAID array, but rather setting up 4 disks and use one disk for a specific data and another for another type of data. And the FTP option would be the best for me. But I am going to read up a bit on the CIFS mount, maybe that can be an option.

ProtoSD

MVP
If you go for a ready-to-use solution, you are really going to limit yourself to all the flexibility and freedom you'll have with FreeNAS. A recent new user here just posted that reading the manual took less than 2 hours and significantly improved his experience with FreeNAS. Take the time to learn about it and you won't regret it.

Cadet
I think FreeNAS is the best option for me, but also because to have 6 disks, I need to use atleast 1500$ for a ready-to-use box. Also, FreeNAS has Deluge, which is great as I love that client.

eadroid

Cadet
I have not read the manual yet, searching for the manual now.
My question is how to get freenas to boot. I'm using a Dell PowerEdge 840 with Raid, I installed freeNas on a dedicated IDE hard drive and then tried installing FreeNas on a SATA HD loaded with FreeNas. I can not get FreeNas to boot or change add the hard drive with FreeNas as a boot option. I would appreciate any literature you have to help me install FreeNas for a file server and use the 4 hard drives on board in raid format to save the data.
If I can not use the raid format with FreeNas, I would appreciate literature to help me to configure bios for the Dell Poweredge 840 to boot from freenas and utilize a failure backup with the four on board drives.
I appreciate your help and direction with the literature to accomplish this.
Thank you,
From someone who is new to FreeNas

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please make your own thread eadroid if the manual doesn't help you.

eadroid

Cadet
Thank you,
Problem was not software, it was hardware. Changed out the CD player and loaded FreeNas without any problems.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.