Connecting TO Ftp FROM FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adi2

Cadet
Hi All,

First of all apologies if this was already answered somewhere. I googled this for few days trying to find neat solutions but could not find any good answers.

Simply I would like to backup my files sitting on my FreeNAS to FTP site. I am lucky having pretty much unlimited cloud storage with really good speeds, the only problem is I am limited to FTP only (apart from Windows/mobile phones apps - crap). So I would like to be able to create a script which would connect to that FTP site (it uses FTPS in fact - TLS) and sync (backup) my Nas files to it for the backup purpose. It would be something similar to rsync in Linux or robocopy in Windows, just going from Nas to external FTP.

Scrapping all I found as it was not fit for the purpose, how should I approach this? Manual upload is possible but well... who would want to do that manually?... At the moment I fire up Filezilla on Windows client and off it goes...

Thanks for any help or pointers on this. I will add that I hold just a copy of the copy on my NAS, and this is home files, not a mission critical stuff - if that makes a difference here :)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
First you need to test your commands manually, then you make a script.

I don't know what is the client for FTPS on FreeBSD but I guess "freebsd ftps client" on your prefered search engine will solve that ;)

If you need to install something don't do it on the main system, create a jail and do your install in it.

Adi2

Cadet
Thanks for that. The problem is... it is too vague for me :( I am familiar with Linux in common but not familiar with FreeBSD too much. I am not sure what would be good client which would actually be able to get FTP going from the script and following that would be able to nicely sync folders. Next thing is about installing stuff in FreeBSD - well I am happy to learn!!

Bidule0hm

You're lucky, the FreeBSD general commands are almost exactly the same as the Linux ones, no problem here :)

Installing programs is more or less like on Linux, it's just a different package manager (like each Linux fork has its own manager).

I guess you'll need to search a scriptable FTPS client and you'll maybe need to use rsync for the folders sync, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Adi2

Cadet
rsync looks ideal - but all i found implied that there is no way to get it to work with ftp connection - much disappointing.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
rsync looks ideal - but all i found implied that there is no way to get it to work with ftp connection - much disappointing.

Correct.

Bidule0hm

With unix systems there's always a way, not necessarily a simple one though... :D

Well, what you want to do is pretty common, search with something like "ftps client sync folders".

Adi2

Cadet
That's exactly what I am counting on!!! There must be a way, even if it is not simple or I have to learn a lot in a process than even better for me! I just spent few days and got nowhere so far hence asking.

D

Deleted47050

Thanks for that. The problem is... it is too vague for me :( I am familiar with Linux in common but not familiar with FreeBSD too much. I am not sure what would be good client which would actually be able to get FTP going from the script and following that would be able to nicely sync folders. Next thing is about installing stuff in FreeBSD - well I am happy to learn!!

FreeBSD has a built-in CLI ftp client, you can simply call it with "ftp" from the shell. I think that could be a good place to start ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
With unix systems there's always a way, not necessarily a simple one though... :D

Yes, but this isn't a "unix system". Sure, it is based on FreeBSD, but we're dealing with an appliance based OS. So it is very limited in functionality and is hard to throw into a "this is a unix system" because you cannot trivially add packages to FreeNAS.

Bidule0hm

Yes, but this isn't a "unix system". Sure, it is based on FreeBSD, but we're dealing with an appliance based OS. So it is very limited in functionality and is hard to throw into a "this is a unix system" because you cannot trivially add packages to FreeNAS.

That's why I said to use a jail if he needed to install something in my first post on this thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.