Setup basic unix permission for home use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody help me putting the missing piece in the puzzle so I can finally start using my new freenas server ?
I have basic setup with only 3 users using cifs shares and my understanding was I can setup this from GUI using unix ACL to make it more simple and easy to manage from gui, but here is the problems:

1. Freenas manual says " users and pass have to match windows system users" but it doesn't explain why, because that's not possible when your users are "Johny Cage", or "Big Ben" or anything that has 2 words with space can't be matched because usernames with spaces are not allowed in Freenas.

2. I create few users and groups for my pool and apply unix permission recursively for the main dataset so owner can RWX group can RX and other has no acces for anything. Everything works fine but when the owner copy new files and folder from Windows machine to Freenas they all got RWX for owner , group and others.
So in order to keep fix it I have to reapply permission from the GUI for the whole pool recursive every time when new files come to Freenas.

How can I make it to work properly ?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
1. It's so you don't have to type a username and password when you browse the share. Names and passwords don't have to match.

2. Modify the mask settings in the cifs settings. This will make it so your files have the permissions you want.

Thanks for your reply.

1.This is very good I hope in a future when I try setup snapshots and then "restore previous version" from windows shadow copy will work and will not give a problem because it's not same user.

2. I tried the mask setting and for directories I can setup 0777 , it works but when trying to setup 0777 on files it only does -rwx-rw-rw. I don't know why I can't setup Execute permission on files for group or others just for owner. ?!?! I can setup manyalu by chmod -r 777 or apply recursive permission from gui to the pool , but from file mask I can go as high as -rwx-rw-rw ?!

What is the proper way to make my setup, as advice ? I only have 3 users - User1(admin) to acces everything -User 2 only to read everything and user 3 to read/write only his own dataset ?

1. It's so you don't have to type a username and password when you browse the share. Names and passwords don't have to match.

2. Modify the mask settings in the cifs settings. This will make it so your files have the permissions you want.

The mask worked but still can't accomplish my main goal :3 users - User1(admin) to acces everything -User 2 only to read everything and user 3 to read/write only his own dataset ?

Status
Not open for further replies.