Setting Up VPN With Free Nas 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

santana111

Cadet
Is it possible to set up VPN with Freens 8. If so can some one please provide me with detailed instructions on how to do so. I am new to Freenas and I would like to have remote access to the files on my Freenas Box. Thank you

Visseroth

Guru
I would recommend going router to router and using PfSense. If your concern is the remote location having access to only your freenas box then you can create a rule that will allow only access to the box.

santana111

Cadet
Basically what I want to do is the following. I am using my Freenas box as a Backup solution with Raid 1 setup. I have multiple stores that will need to access the Freenas box. Basically what I want to do is whenever a file is modified on specific computers at each store that file is automatically transfered to the Freenas Box. From there the updated file or files are transfered from the Freenas box to all the stores updating the files on the computers. I have a program that will do the file folder "watching" and updating. My only problem is I want to keep the Freenas box off site for security reasons. So how would I be able to set up a network share over the Internet. I don't know if everything that I have said makes sense. Thank you for your fast reply. What would you suggest at the best and most secure solution to my problem?

Visseroth

Guru
You could use RSync or since you already have a file watch application the VPN solution would work. You just need to create a VPN tunnel to each network. Any decent router will do VPN but if you don't have a decent router then take some old PCs and turn them into routers using PfSense and create your tunnels.

santana111

Cadet
My last question would be and forgive me if this is a stupid question, are there any settings that I wuold have to change on my Nas box to work with VPN to VPN between the two routers or would it be automatically set?

Visseroth

Guru
If you use a VPN router and get the VPN online, more than likely not. If you use PfSense you'll need to put a rule in place for the interface that will allow traffic to move from your VPN interface to your local networks what ever they may be. No changes will need to be made on your freenas to work over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.