Really, really, really n00b ?uestions on setting up the openVPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

unca_NAS

Explorer
Please bear with me. I have a hard time understanding how to setup the openVPN for freenas 9.1

I want to set it up working with transmission, which is workin in jail "bit_1". No remote control of NAS, remote CIFS etc at this stage.

1) Should I install openVPN on
a) separate jail
b) bit_1 jail
c) freeNAS
d) other

2) If in jail, is the jail-side "client" and host-OS "server" or vice versa?

3) where, oh where can I find / create
a) server configuration files
b) client configuration files
c) cert-file

4) do I need additional 24/7 running computer besides my freeNAS box in order to use vpn-service?

More to come, I'm afraid...

D

dlavigne

Regarding openvpn, it is already installed in FreeNAS but requires manual configuration from shell. As of 9.1.0, EasyRSA is also included. Look for a how-to on openvpn on FreeBSD as I don't believe anyone has posted one for 9.x on the forums yet.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Please bear with me. I have a hard time understanding how to setup the openVPN for freenas 9.1

I want to set it up working with transmission, which is workin in jail "bit_1". No remote control of NAS, remote CIFS etc at this stage.

1) Should I install openVPN on
a) separate jail
b) bit_1 jail
c) freeNAS
d) other

2) If in jail, is the jail-side "client" and host-OS "server" or vice versa?

3) where, oh where can I find / create
a) server configuration files
b) client configuration files
c) cert-file

4) do I need additional 24/7 running computer besides my freeNAS box in order to use vpn-service?

More to come, I'm afraid...
Based on your questions I have to ask what it is you are expecting out of this?
Question 2 is the one I am confused about. Your NAS (host and jail) are both on local network and do not require any VPN connectivity.

#3 can be answered by following basic open VPN instructions found on the open VPN site. Those items are handled via the easy-rsa utility that Dru has indicated is already installed on your FreeNAS.

As to #4, if you have open VPN service running on the FreeNAS server, why would you need another PC on 24/7?

Beyond just getting it installed you will also need to understand a couple of rules regarding VPN.

Port forwarding: you will need to forward UDP port 1194 from your router to the FreeNAS machine.

Subnets: DO NOT use the same subnet for your open VPN pool as your local subnet. If you do not understand this I can help explain later when I am at a PC.

On the subject of routing and subnets, you will want to make sure your network is reachable from your VPN client which means depending on your router might require setting some static routes. This is typically an easy thing to do.

Before you go through all this make sure your router doesn't already support VPN capability, or support loading DDWRT firmware on it. This would save you a lot of work.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.